Cannot install LMDE [SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Cannot install LMDE [SOLVED]

Postby madgenius on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:56 pm

Moving from openSuSE 11.3; decided to switch to LMDE.

Downloaded the .iso and burnt it onto a DVD. Can boot into a live session, and start the installer, but get stuck at the same point all the time. The progress bar goes upto about 75%, with a message saying "mounting /dev/sda6/ on /target/", but nothing happens after this.

It seems to be stuck at this point. Tried shutting down the machine, and redoing the whole process, but I run into the same error again.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.
Last edited by madgenius on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madgenius
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Cannot install LMDE

Postby Gramps50 on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:09 pm

Sounds like you could have a bad cd image. Sometimes it is something as simple as fingerprint on the cd. I use automotive spray wax to clean my cd making sure that I wipe across the cd and not in a cicular motion.

For some reason the CD/DVDs burn better if they are burnt at the slowest speed, so if the above doesn't help I would reburn the cd/DVD using the slowest speed and check the md5 checksum when finished
LMDE ROCKS!!!
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Postby madgenius on Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Thanks Gramps50.

What you suggested seemed to be the issue. Downloaded the iso again, checked md5 and this time it installed alright.

Time for me to get to know LMDE!
madgenius
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Gramps50 on Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:43 am

madgenius wrote:Thanks Gramps50.

What you suggested seemed to be the issue. Downloaded the iso again, checked md5 and this time it installed alright.

Time for me to get to know LMDE!

Glad it worked out and you got it installed. I like LMDE and can't wait for the update that is suppose to be out sometime in Dec no other time frame given.

Welcome to the Mint Community
LMDE ROCKS!!!
Gramps50
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions