USB Hard Drive & Power Loss

Archived topics about LMDE 1 and LMDE 2
SLinovitz

USB Hard Drive & Power Loss

Post by SLinovitz »

I use LMDE daily without any issues .... except those I cause.

Maybe someone can help me out of a self created problem I create from time to time.

I use a generic USB hard drive with 2 USB connectors - 1 for data, 1 for power. If I use only the data cable (forget to plug in the power cable) the drive will automatically mount and work perfectly. Without the power cable, however, the drive will sometimes just suddenly die (shut down). While this causes no obvious problem with the OS, I'm unable to get the USB drive to remount without a reboot. Is there something I can do manually that will allow the drive to remount without restarting the OS?

Thanks
Scott
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: USB Hard Drive & Power Loss

Post by caf4926 »

I make some assumptions here: sdb1 and ntfs

Code: Select all

sudo mount -t ntfs-3g   /dev/sdb1   /path_to/mount_point
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
wayne128

Re: USB Hard Drive & Power Loss

Post by wayne128 »

I use a generic USB hard drive with 2 USB connectors - 1 for data, 1 for power. If I use only the data cable (forget to plug in the power cable) the drive will automatically mount and work perfectly. Without the power cable, however, the drive will sometimes just suddenly die (shut down). While this causes no obvious problem with the OS, I'm unable to get the USB drive to remount without a reboot. Is there something I can do manually that will allow the drive to remount without restarting the OS?
By right, you could just unplug the USB drive, then wait a few seconds, plug it back to USB port.
The Linux OS should detect this USB as a 'new drive' and automaticall mount it as usual.

By the way, if you find this a nuisance to you, you could also consider instead of using a 'higher powered required USB drive', choose one that required less power, this is usually packed with single USB connector cable.

Return to “LMDE Archive”