Development

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Development

Postby zonas on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-024 got the installer but did not work

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-025 the installer works and i am runing it on my test PC

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-026 i made a usplash build on Splashy looks ugly but works for now

more to come soon!!
zonas

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Developemt

Postby zonas on Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:24 pm

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-027 i add mint as the user and i am now abel to log in as a liveCD user call mint .. and i made the user auto login and i am using a config version of remasterme i made for debian to remaster the iso ...

i will soon release MintRemasterMe 0.1
zonas

Postby zonas on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:40 pm

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA031 i update the kernel to 2.6.23 and gnome to 2.21.4...
zonas

Postby AshtonBRSC on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Thanks for the detailed updates. It's good to know how things are going while we wait for more releases to test.
AshtonBRSC
Level 1
Level 1

Postby guest on Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 am

Wow! This is really nice! Keep it up! Hope this turns out real good! :)

Postby be80be on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:16 am

I have installed debain mint that clem made and updated it to kernal 2.6.23 and gnome 2.21.4 by using apt-get upgrade it worked and still have all the eye candy of mint i looked at the dream installer that zonas was talking about it would be cool but isnt it using etch ruby and gtk i tryed runing it and it stop asking for modules that are not in unstable debian so you have roll your own . I was thinking that if you added the mint candy and fix apt as to not remove the candy then you could use the debain installer as is just add mint to the source.list
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby mumbo719 on Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:28 am

Thanks for the detailed updates Zonas.
Regards,

Warren J. Grisafi
Integrity Cleaning Systems, LLC.,
813-927-4315
http://www.integritytampa.com

You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call failure is not the falling down, but the staying down.
~ Mary Pickford
mumbo719
Level 3
Level 3

Postby zonas on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:04 am

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-038 the install works now and is now call MintDreamInstaller 0.3 and MintRemasterME 0.6 is now on the CD and now i am gonging to make bugfixing and fix bugs and then release a BETA test soon but place report bugs fund on Clem´s version so that i can get all the bugs fixed before i release a BETA release ...
zonas

Postby zonas on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:11 am

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.0-ALPHA-039 som more news!!

Kernel 2.6.23.mint1.0
Gnome 2.21.4
MintDreamInstaller 0.3.1
MintRemasterME 0.6
DebianInstaller - for old PCs (Textbased)

now i will start work on the BETA version that will be released soon!!
zonas

Postby zonas on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 am

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.01-BETA-001 Okay this is the first stabel test it is build on ALPHA-039 and comes what the same software but soem bugs is fixed ... now the bugfixing starts and a a BETA Release is coming soon i am usig splashy and made a clone of the usplash from Main Edition more to come ....

Update: i made a update to the source list...

sources.list
# ---- Lenny (LinuxMint) ---- #
deb http://www.jonasogco.vapnet.dk/linux/mint lenny/
#deb-src http://www.jonasogco.vapnet.dk/linux/mint lenny/
zonas

Postby zonas on Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:40 pm

LinuxMint Debian CE 1.01-BETA-004 i fixed lastest bugs and the iso is now stabel a BETA will be released soon .. i just have to make some cool artwork i am gonig to use the logo Ede made tanks.. we are know working on a Wallpaper....
zonas

Postby adredz on Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:22 am

zonas, what's up?...gud luck :D
adredz
Level 2
Level 2

Postby changturkey on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:04 pm

Wow, awesome dude. Keep it up.
changturkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby be80be on Sun Jan 20, 2008 8:23 pm

hay zonas i got this debian mint installed i made it with lenny use the debian upspash and the mint xfce eye candy it works good just as fast as debian with out the mint things
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:42 pm

I know development of Debian Mint is hot and heavy, but perhaps we should consider looking to Parsix Linux as a good basis for Debian Mint. It's based on Debian Testing and appears to have ported many of Ubuntu's conveniences. Take a look here: http://www.parsix.org/html/index.php
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby venky80 on Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:48 pm

I was in sidux forums and they were quite skeptical that if mint developers can pull this off, but were encouraged that now they have some competition.
This is great for linux
venky80
Level 1
Level 1

Postby cmost on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:51 pm

I've used Sidux since its inception and it's an absolutely fantastic Debian operating system. You wouldn't believe how fast it is! The main concern, obviously with Debian is that it's a "rolling" release. As new packages enter the Unstable repository, then flow to Testing and eventually trickle down to Stable poor coordination or failure to apply patches, etc. sometimes causes breakage in all or part of the operating system. Sidux minimizes this by using an intricate system of upgrade warnings and custom scripts while also employing many of their own custom-built tools to ensure fairly smooth sailing. Mint does have its work cut out for it if it intends to use Gnome as the primary desktop. Gnome in Debian is notorious for breaking frequently and causing other problems. Even Sidux won't officially support a Gnome desktop and the version of Gnome in Debian Stabe (i.e., Etch) is only 2.14. Many people fail to realize the amount of work Ubuntu devs put into just Gnome, in order to provide the latest release every six months. Mint may have better luck combining the talents of the Linux Mint KDE CE community with the Debian Mint CE community to produce a solid KDE centric desktop. Perhaps some tools and scripts might be borrowed from Sidux, Kanotix or even DreamLinux and modified to create a rock solid Linux Mint Debian Edition. Alternately, perhaps Ubuntu's Gnome packages could be ported to the Debian Edition of Mint and pinned to prevent problems when upgrading the rest of the system. Just some thoughts.

On a related topic, how's development coming Zonas? You've been quiet for awhile. :-) Need any help? Testers?
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby be80be on Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:52 pm

Hay if you want to build a debian mint why not use live-helper i try ed it and it builds a good live cd and you can and any of the mint candy you want and its all in unstable/lenny it makes a live cd that you can put any uplash on it the cd is fast
I tryed it on a amd64 3000 and a p3 866 both worked great.
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sundayrefugee on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:56 am

Agreed. It would be much easier to do a KDE version of Mint than a GNOME one. Even better, one based on Etch/Lenny and not Lenny/Sid.

And a *true* "community" distro ;)
sundayrefugee
Level 3
Level 3

Postby mandog on Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:33 pm

Parsix uses Lenny/Sid with Gnome with no problems, Stop putting Gnome down I use E17 Gnome And KDE and my preference is in that order I use KDE on ARCH, and only Arch, Its so Boring, technically its superior but thats where it stops. Gnome is a good base and customises well and hides the Technical stuff under the hood. e17 is the eye candy I use it 99% of the time. Back to parsix its good very good as with Sidux the scripts are good and they port a few of the better ideas from Ubuntu like, and they work.
mandog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Next

Return to Newbie Questions