MintRemasterME Developemt

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

MintRemasterME Developemt

Postby zonas on Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:14 am

I am developing on Debian CE 1.0 build on the LiveCD that Clem made ... i made a config version of RemasterME call MintRemasterME i made this to config Debian LiveCDs like Reconstructor i will release it on the Debian CE 1.0 as a tool that lets users make a config version of Debian CE 1.0 that will olso make it easy if Clem will shift to Debian Base as the base of Main Edition ....
zonas

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MintRemasterME Developemt

Postby cmost on Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:54 pm

This will be quite nice. I never did care for Ubuntu/Mint's remastersys tool but Fedora's Reconstructor is much better! You're very enthusiastic about this project. Don't be afraid to tap the rest of the community for assistance! We're willing and able to help with tasks big or small. The devil is in the details! :P :P :P
cmost
Level 4
Level 4

Postby clem on Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:54 am

By the way, I used a tweaked version of reconstructor to generate the Debian alpha. It worked very well.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby molom on Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:00 am

I would love it if the main Linux Mint Edition switches to Debian, I would love it if Mint was faster than what it is at the moment.

Cheers,
molom
molom
Level 4
Level 4

Re(contructor)

Postby DrHouse on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:51 am

clem wrote:I used a tweaked version of reconstructor to generate the Debian alpha

<unashamed>Care to elaborate, let alone: share?</unashamed>
DrHouse
Level 1
Level 1

Postby belovedmonster on Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:32 pm

molom wrote:I would love it if the main Linux Mint Edition switches to Debian, I would love it if Mint was faster than what it is at the moment.

But basing it off Ubuntu makes it more polished, and for 99.9% of the world polish is far more important than saving a second here and a second there. If Linux wants to go mainstream it needs to put polish and ease of use above everything else.
belovedmonster
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Re(contructor)

Postby kanishka on Sun Jan 20, 2008 12:45 pm

DrHouse wrote:
clem wrote:I used a tweaked version of reconstructor to generate the Debian alpha

<unashamed>Care to elaborate, let alone: share?</unashamed>

I second that :roll:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby clem on Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:47 pm

Hmm... I can't :lol: I didn't take notes and it's not like I completely refactored the tool.. as far as I remember I took reconstructor 2.5... it crashed for a few reasons so I looked at the code and did a little bit of debugging, removed some stuff and changed other things in a few places. After a little bit of tweaking it was extracting the Debian live CD and reconstructing it into an ISO successfully. I didn't have to change much and it went quite fast, I didn't even keep the tweaked version after the release.

Most liveCDs are built in the same way anyway. Reconstructor simply assumes you're looking at an Ubuntu disk, so you change a few assumptions in the code that's all. Basically it's always the same.. an ISO containing an initrd, isolinux and a squashed filesystem... you extract all that, unsquash it, chroot into it, make your changes and after that do the exact opposite to rebuild the ISO. It's pretty basic in theory and most of the time in practice as well.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby kanishka on Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:00 am

Thanx for the explanation Clem!
Now it's confirmed that the whole process is way beyond my skills :roll:
kanishka
Level 5
Level 5

Postby be80be on Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Clem you should try the debian live-helper it has a front in called live-magic i would say it's what ubuntu reconstructor is made from i made a cd using your debian livecd added the things you put in to my cd it works great you can add the debian installer and it will put it on the hard drive.
be80be
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:12 am

be80be: That looks great, thanks a lot for this.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions