Window manager not finding themes after gnome install

Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Window manager not finding themes after gnome install

Postby rimbaum on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 am

I have an ASUS x501a that I installed Mint 14 Cinnamon 64-bit onto. After I ran updates, I attempted to install GNOME 3, and apparently attempting to install GNOME caused my window manager (presumably Metacity) to break. The first thing I tried was metacity --replace, and it returned me with
Code: Select all
becca@becca-notebook ~ $ metacity --replace
Window manager warning: Failed to load theme "Adwaita": Failed to find a valid file for theme Adwaita

And so on with each theme I'd installed, ending in
Code: Select all
Window manager error: Could not find a theme! Be sure /usr/share/themes exists and contains the usual themes.

I could only access anything on my desktop at all if I switched to fallback mode, and even then none of the windows had title bars. Interestingly enough, running "sudo metacity --replace" resulted in getting me the window title bars, but the gtk+ themes still aren't running. Also interestingly, opening a folder in Nemo as root gets everything looking normal.

I attached a screenshot so you can see the end result of what I have so far. If I can get any tips on how to get everything working properly again so I can actually use GNOME 3 (or even cinnamon!) instead of the fallback mode, it'd be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Screenshot3.png
Nemo's root mode after running sudo --replace
Screenshot2.png
After running sudo --replace
Screenshot1.png
Before running sudo --replace

Last bumped by rimbaum on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:11 am.
rimbaum
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Others