Always on top

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
viking777

Always on top

Post by viking777 »

My definition of "always on top" is that every time I open a particular program window it will be on top of other windows.
Gnome's definition of "always on top" is that a particular program window will be on top of other windows until you close it down and open it again when the "always on top" function will have to be set again.

Is there a way to make gnome-shell adopt my definition rather than its own?

Maybe something to add to the .desktop file?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Always on top

Post by xenopeek »

On GNOME 2 you could force window behavior based on application title and such, with the Devil's Pie tool.

I'm not sure if this works with GNOME 3. Some tutorials:
live.gnome.org/DevilsPie
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Devilspie
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Thanks for that Vincent. I had read about Devii'sPie, but like yourself I wasn't sure if it worked on Gnome 3 so I have left it alone so far. I might have a look at it some time if I can't find any other solution.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

I just tried out devilspie or to be more precise gdevilspie and although it is supposed to work on Gnome 3 it does absolutely nothing :(
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Blast :?
cimness

Post by cimness »

I'm not sure what you might have done wrong, but I am using devilspie with mint 12 rc and it's working fine. I haven't used the always on top setting, but the custom size, automatic placement, sticky, below, and window decoration ones worked just fine to make a desktop-embedded terminal. Make sure you:

+ sudo apt-get install devilspie gdevilspie
+ check that the configuration files made with gdevilspie are in your home directory (~/.devilspie)
+ add devilspie to Startup Applications
+ reboot the system.

Should work. I've done it this way twice now, on two separate installs of Gnome3 - Mint 12 and Ubuntu 11.10. Both worked perfectly.
viking777

Post by viking777 »

Well thank you for that reply cimness, but sadly I have already done everything you suggested before you suggested it and still got no results, and although it was 'Always on top' that I wanted to get working I did try other options as well and none of them worked either. Anyway, I have uninstalled devilspie now and I won't be installing it again. But I am glad it works for you. Thanks again for replying.

Return to “Software & Applications”