Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by Oscar799 »

Introducing Cinnamon
A Linux Desktop featuring a traditional layout (Gnome 2),built from modern technology (Gnome Shell) and introducing brand new innovative features
It is in ALPHA at the moment,most features haven't arrived yet,but it is available for testing

.debs available here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/downloads

After installation run

Code: Select all

cinnamon --replace 
to start it

Please report any issues here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues
mank_in

Re: Another DE option for Mint 12 - Cinnamon

Post by mank_in »

I execute command in terminal , but i see a lot of error. How to quit :?: If i close terminal , the bottom panel disappear.
But the DE look is quite promising.
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

Hmm... a Gnome Shell fork and Gnome 2-like desktop layout... by Clem...
Could it be a future basis for Mint 13? :)
Aging Technogeek

Post by Aging Technogeek »

Is this a completely new DE or has Mate been renamed?
Oscar799
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Oscar799 »

It's a completely new one
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Cinnamon 1.0.0 is now in the Mint 12 repository.

Code: Select all

apt update
apt install cinnamon-session
Kimiko_0

Post by Kimiko_0 »

So, uhm, what does this mean for Mate? This Cinnamon DE seems to have pretty much the same goal as Mate, to get a Gnome-based DE that works like Gnome 2 instead of Gnome 3. Will Mate be abandoned now that Clem himself has moved on to Cinnamon?
tdockery97
Level 14
Level 14

Post by tdockery97 »

Here's a look at cinnamon on webupd8: http://www.webupd8.org/2011/12/cinnamon ... nome2.html
Mint Cinnamon 20.1
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

MATE is different, it feels different and it provides different features. Both desktops will appeal to different categories of users and so we're likely to support both.
raqua

Post by raqua »

Hello guys, my first post here. I registered just to post this.

I am not a Mint user, I am on Arch, but Mint would be my second choice and I always check on Mint to get some great theme ideas.
I am very excited about Cinnamon. If this makes it to my desktop I might want to switch back to Gnome from XFCE. I will donate to your distribution just for this single thing. Finally some sanity into Gnome3.
Thank you and please keep up the good work.
Now where is the donate button?

Raqua
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

am i missing something or is it a non-implemented feature yet, the search-box in the activities-overview mode only search wikipedia (or 3rd option, is this the expected behaviour :lol: ?)
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

Is there anywhere with some more info on this? I read the webupd8 article, but I can't seem to find too much else. It looks great,though, and I'm installing it now on my Lisa Vbox installation.
t3g

Post by t3g »

clem wrote:MATE is different, it feels different and it provides different features. Both desktops will appeal to different categories of users and so we're likely to support both.
I have been using Trisquel (http://www.trisquel.info) on another machine and I would love for them to adapt MATE as well considering that their default Gnome 2 look is one of the best looking around. I'm currently running their 4.1 version (LTS) and would want to migrate from one LTS to the next in the future with the same look.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

I've installed Cinnamon on my live USB stick. Basically I like it, so I say keep going. It seems to be a nice improvement to Gnome Shell. I would like to see applets work and more flexibility to scale the panel and to be able to place the applets where we want them.
Last edited by Joe_Linux on Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

zerozero: The search entry in the overview will disappear eventually and so will the search engines. Engines will then be added to the menu itself. The overview will be reserved for advanced features and act as a complement to the desktop.
MALsPa
Level 8
Level 8

Post by MALsPa »

I think this is a great idea. Maybe not for me -- I really like both the GNOME Shell and the Unity layouts -- but for LOTS of other people. Good work, Clem! Looking forward to seeing more about this.
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I tried to install it but when I logged into the cinnamon session, there was just the desktop with icons, there were no panels or anything else. This also happened when logging into the gnome session. MATE worked, though. I'm reinstalling into VBox, so I'll see if it works then. Should I install it before or after installing updates?
t3g

Post by t3g »

I know there are already too many desktop environments in the wild now, but why was Cinnamon created? I'm curious if the time and resources would be better spent into refining the Gnome Shell and its extensions in addition to MATE.

I know the strength of open source is that anyone can create anything and put it into the wild. The big weakness is that there are clashes of egos and if these people got together and tried to refine the things they use instead of forking, we would have higher quality products instead of a handful of clones that either die out quickly due to lack of interest or are watered down.

I would love to see MATE become more refined. If you want to kill it, then too bad. Maybe you should have thought of that before getting people excited about it with the previous release. I know you guys have a decent sized team, but you will eventually be supporting Gnome Shell, Gnome Shell MGSE, Cinnamon, and MATE on a single release. This doesn't include your KDE, LXDE, and two variants of Gnome and XFCE on Debian.

Are you ready for the challenge?
cwwgateway

Post by cwwgateway »

I think that MATE and Cinnamon will be shipped in Mint 13 (or maybe 14), as Cinnamon I believe is to replace MGSE with a more integrated desktop environment. So, it's almost an evolution of the extensions, so to speak. If you look at the git page, they are basically turning the extensions into defaults which are better integrated.
Joe_Linux

Post by Joe_Linux »

cwwgateway wrote:I think that MATE and Cinnamon will be shipped in Mint 13 (or maybe 14), as Cinnamon I believe is to replace MGSE with a more integrated desktop environment. So, it's almost an evolution of the extensions, so to speak. If you look at the git page, they are basically turning the extensions into defaults which are better integrated.
That's how I see it. MATE is for people who want to stick with Gnome 2, while Cinnamon is done somewhat in the style of Gnome 2, but with Gnome Shell components. I think they both have the potential to be very good. I wonder if Unity will ever be improved enough for me to see something positive in it. Right now, Unity seems outclassed by all these Mint variations. It's like Mozart taking on Salieri and beating the poison of "Unity".

Return to “Cinnamon”