[Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

[Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Postby daisythecat on Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

Dear All,

I usually suspend/resume my laptop by pressing the power button. Using Mate it looks like it suspends ok.

It also looks like it resumes ok but then it immediately shuts down reporting "power button pressed".

It suspends/resumes ok by closing/opening the lid with Mate.

It suspends/resumes ok using the power button with gnome3 (and also it did with gnome2).

Any thoughts on how I could get the power button to suspend/resume correctly when running Mate?
Last edited by daisythecat on Sat May 12, 2012 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toshiba Satellite L300
CPU[-Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5800 (-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz-] Kernel[-3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64-]
LMDE
daisythecat
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Postby äxl on Fri May 11, 2012 8:08 pm

daisythecat wrote:"power button pressed"

I think this is run by /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh
I know it's an ugly solution but could you rename that file? Rename it back if it doesn't help!
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Postby daisythecat on Sat May 12, 2012 6:48 am

Hi,

Yes, I renamed /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh and it resumes fine now.

Thanks
Toshiba Satellite L300
CPU[-Dual core Intel Core2 Duo T5800 (-MCP-) clocked at 800.000 Mhz-] Kernel[-3.2.0-2-amd64 x86_64-]
LMDE
daisythecat
Level 1
Level 1

[Bug Workaround] Suspend/Resume via Power Button problem

Postby deviceguru on Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:24 pm

FYI, this is still an issue with the latest LMDE (as of 201204), and it still solves the problem. Specifically...

I was disappointed to find that suspend/resume didn't work properly on my system. The system seemed to suspend just fine, but when it resumed it would restore the desktop perfectly, but then the screen would go black and there was a prompt for a login. But before I could do anything, it would power down.

Now, after renaming the file at /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh to something else, the system suspends/resumes perfectly!

Hopefully this small issue will be fixed in in a future release.
Linux user since 2000 ~ visit my blog at DeviceGuru.com
deviceguru
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Bug Workaround] Suspend/Resume via Power Button problem

Postby sardinha on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:03 am

deviceguru wrote:FYI, this is still an issue with the latest LMDE (as of 201204), and it still solves the problem. Specifically...

I was disappointed to find that suspend/resume didn't work properly on my system. The system seemed to suspend just fine, but when it resumed it would restore the desktop perfectly, but then the screen would go black and there was a prompt for a login. But before I could do anything, it would power down.

Now, after renaming the file at /etc/acpi/powerbtn-acpi-support.sh to something else, the system suspends/resumes perfectly!

Hopefully this small issue will be fixed in in a future release.

Renaming the file don't fix suspend/resume in my LMDE 201204 installed in ThinkPad SL510. It can Suspend but the keyboard won't wake up.... By now I just use Hibernate after fix the swap ID http://www.boomerclan.info/techpaperslx/121-mint-debian-fixing-suspend-hibernate.html
sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [Solved] Suspend and Resume with Power Button problem

Postby cowsquad on Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I have the same issue. I am going to try this solution right now. Wish me luck:+)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
cowsquad
Level 1
Level 1

Postby äxl on Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Are there any other events in /etc/acpi and /etc/acpi/events for any of you?
powerbtn-acpi-support is only looking for button[ /]power. I don't know if this is interpreted as a long press or if it's just a bracket expression.
But I assume it conflicts with the power management which is supposed be handled by hald-addon-acpi [HAL daemon] or a devicekit-based replacement. So I would guess suspend works like that.

sardinha, I think you should take a look into your /var/log/pm... logs. There are several threads here about computers not waking up properly.
My Linux history: Ubuntu 10.04 - 10.10 - LMDE 201109 - UP4 My sources.list/preferences

Computers is not science. And it's not magic - it's something in between.
äxl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby JosephBus1 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Thank You deviceguru , renaming /etc/acpi/powerbtn.sh worked for me!...JosephBus1
JosephBus1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby sardinha on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:20 am

äxl, pm-suspend.log is attached to this message. I'm not finding what's wrong. Can you help me find a solution?
Attachments
screenshot.png
pm-suspend.log last lines
screenshot.png (74.18 KiB) Viewed 1157 times
sardinha
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to MATE