linux mint 13 mate desktop cube

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
calev

linux mint 13 mate desktop cube

Post by calev »

Could someone help me to get the desktop cube to work in mate on mint 13? Has anybody gotten it to work? All I have done so far is install compiz setting's manager and enabled desktop cube. This did nothing. thanks for your help.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xpander

Re: linux mint 13 mate desktop cube

Post by xpander »

try alt+f2 and type "compiz --replace" (without the quotes ofc)
then add that command to startup if that works
calev

Post by calev »

Thanks that did help me get the desktop cube to work, but now i have no minimize ,maximize, or the ability to move windows.
xpander

Post by xpander »

calev wrote:Thanks that did help me get the desktop cube to work, but now i have no minimize ,maximize, or the ability to move windows.
check if u have window decoration enabled from compiz settings.
and command should be "gtk-window-decorator --replace" in the settings there
calev

Post by calev »

Thanks, window decoration was not enabled and i enabled it. Now i can minimize and maximize ,but i cant move any windows. They are all fixed into the possition where they where opened. Any help with that? Its still useless if i cant move any windows i open.
xpander

Post by xpander »

hmm thats quite a strange

there is also a setting in compiz settings
"Move Window" -check if this is enabled
should be under window management section there.

for a previous problem. some good solutions here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/919
calev

Post by calev »

Thanks, that did the trick. Its weird that nothing was enabled by default. I expected a more complicated problem.
calev

Post by calev »

Now the only problem i have is if i put the panel on top, all the windows open underneath the panel. It becomes impossible to move them. The grabing surface where the minimize and maximize buttons lie is hidden. I have to turn on auto hide in the panel to gain control of my newly opened windows.
xpander

Post by xpander »

calev wrote:Now the only problem i have is if i put the panel on top, all the windows open underneath the panel. It becomes impossible to move them. The grabing surface where the minimize and maximize buttons lie is hidden. I have to turn on auto hide in the panel to gain control of my newly opened windows.
again quite strange..try to fiddle with the options in compiz settings
"place windows" probably is the one that takes care of it tho.
i have my /home partition since 2006 so i have my configs quite different than new install.
its weird tho that compiz comes without enabled options in mint 13
MintRainbow

Post by MintRainbow »

I am observing quite the unusual behavior myself. It's almost like each cube face leads to a new set of four desktops -- I have the standard 4H1V configuration that's more suited for the cube. Also, windows disappear when sent to a new cube face.

At present I am running Emerald with Compiz as well, same system as this thread mentions.
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

calev wrote:Now the only problem i have is if i put the panel on top, all the windows open underneath the panel. It becomes impossible to move them. The grabing surface where the minimize and maximize buttons lie is hidden. I have to turn on auto hide in the panel to gain control of my newly opened windows.
Alt + Button 1 should move your window as long as your pointer is above your window.
cwky42
Level 1
Level 1

Post by cwky42 »

mpiter wrote: Alt + Button 1 should move your window as long as your pointer is above your window.
Excellently useful tip I wish I had known about a long time ago! Any chance you could steer me towards a list of gems like that one?

Thanks!
mpiter
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mpiter »

cwky42 wrote:Excellently useful tip I wish I had known about a long time ago! Any chance you could steer me towards a list of gems like that one?
Because a user can redefine any keyboard shortcut, you can find anything. However, there are shortcuts that have more or less become standards. For example, if you run the Keyboard Shortcuts application from the Control Center found in the Linux Mint menu, you can see many classic shortcuts.

Compiz manages its own shortcuts. So, if you run Compiz, the only way to be sure of its shortcuts is to check every plugin switched on and to check its keyboard, mouse, and edge/corner mapping. It will not take very long.

On top of this, some applications define their own shortcuts taking priority over your Window manager. This is the case of mate-terminal. For that application, you need to go into the Keyboard Shortcuts... item of the Edit menu to see what it does. Hence, if something seems strange and does not correspond to your Compiz settings, check the preferences of the current application. Good luck.
MintRainbow

Post by MintRainbow »

I know the necrometer shows the entropy-based decay on this topic to be high, but I tested compiz pre-installed in Mint 14 and there are no longer any major usability issus with either Cube or Expo.

Return to “MATE”