Primary Monitor Selection ???

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
1voyager1

Primary Monitor Selection ???

Post by 1voyager1 »

I have installed v13 x64 Mate.
I have:
2x ASUS EAH 4350
2x Samsung 245BW [1920x1200]
I have installed no drivers = Linix Mint Default drivers are being used.
In Win7 the EAH4350's are X-Fire'd, but not here because Radeon Catalyst not installed.
Both monitors are connected to one card [1-analog, 1-digital] .

I have both monitors working with a 3840x1200px wallpaper backgroung being properly displayed.

The problem is that the primary monitor is on the LH side.
I want to reverse them so that the primary monitor is on the RH side.
How can I accomplish this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
remoulder
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Primary Monitor Selection ???

Post by remoulder »

1voyager1 wrote:primary monitor is on the LH side. I want to reverse them
Not running MATE here so names might be slightly different, but basically you go into the settings display or monitors applet and drag n drop to re-arrange.
[Edit] your original post and add [SOLVED] once your question is resolved.

“The people are my God” stressing the factor determining man’s destiny lies within man not in anything outside man, and thereby defining man as the dominator and remoulder of the world.
jeezmos

Post by jeezmos »

If your monitors are aligned properly and you just want to change the primary monitor, in the Displays application there is a black bar at the top of the primary monitor box (it looks like it has a date in it); drag that black bar onto the monitor that you want to be the primary monitor then hit Apply.
gab3

Post by gab3 »

I cant find any black bars from the Monitor application. I have laptop with external monitor and I would like to use the monitor as primary but cannot find way to do that, so can somebody give some help?. I have fresh Linux Mint 13 with Mate installed and no additional drivers.
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@ gab3: Maybe you have ticked the box to display the same content on all monitors? There is a small black bar at the top of one monitor, if you have two of them enabled.

@ 1voyager1: Connecting both screens to the same GPU works better in Linux. If CrossFire is enabled, you'll still be able to use the power of both gpu's in Windows, or with the Catalyst driver.
Registered Linux User #528502
Feel free to correct me if I'm trying to write in Spanish, French or German.
gab3

Post by gab3 »

Nope, I dont have ticked it. Here is how it shows for me: http://image.bayimg.com/dapjkaadi.jpg
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

@gab3: I don't know how to do it there in 13. But it can be done in terminal.

With xrandr -q you'll see the names of the monitors such as LVDS-1, VGA-1 or HDMI-1 (without dashes if you have Intel graphics), then you can run xrandr --output <name> --primary (replace <name> with the monitor that you want to make primary).
gab3

Post by gab3 »

AlbertP wrote:@gab3: I don't know how to do it there in 13. But it can be done in terminal.

With xrandr -q you'll see the names of the monitors such as LVDS-1, VGA-1 or HDMI-1 (without dashes if you have Intel graphics), then you can run xrandr --output <name> --primary (replace <name> with the monitor that you want to make primary).
Thanks, this worked for me!
Simnol

Post by Simnol »

AlbertP wrote:@gab3: I don't know how to do it there in 13. But it can be done in terminal.

Hi,

This works great for me, thanks, I've been looking for the solution for a while.

But how would I get it to be consistent across all users and reboots?

Any help would be awesome.

S
AlbertP
Level 16
Level 16

Post by AlbertP »

You can probably put the command in your .xinitrc file, or set the primary monitor in ~/.config/monitors.xml (change no to yes between <primary> and </primary> and change yes to no for the monitor that should not be primary).
Precnet

Post by Precnet »

jeezmos wrote:If your monitors are aligned properly and you just want to change the primary monitor, in the Displays application there is a black bar at the top of the primary monitor box (it looks like it has a date in it); drag that black bar onto the monitor that you want to be the primary monitor then hit Apply.
Thank you!

Return to “MATE”