[Solved+closed] Mate and Cinnamon

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
J.Naw
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved+closed] Mate and Cinnamon

Post by J.Naw »

Hello, Im currently using Cinnamon 13 Maya, And planning to go to Nadia, But, If i move to mate, Will the backup manager be able to install the programs, Files and things like that, Or will i have to use cinnamon???

And, Whats the difference between the two, Other then the main desktop. Like performance and things..
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Main: Asus C201p running ArchLinux ARM Dualbooting with ChromeOS

Second: Dell Latitude E4310 | Intel i5 540M 4gb Ram|320gb 7200 rpm Drive|[color=#FF0000Windows 10 64bit.[/color]
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Mate and Cinnamon

Post by kc1di »

you can install mate on a cinnamon install by going to synaptic and searching for mint-meta-mate and installing it there
that way you can check the both out. I prefer mate myself but at least if you do it this way you can make up your own mind.
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

as the previous poster said, you can install multiple "desktops" on one box. Before you sign in, click on change session to see all the desktop enviroments you have.

Btw, it might be better for you to just stay on Maya. I did that switch and it wasn't the most "fun" thing. but if you do decide to update, then do a clean install, not the upgrade.
If your box runs fine now, it's best to just stay, read here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
J.Naw
Level 3
Level 3

Post by J.Naw »

EmpireITtech wrote:as the previous poster said, you can install multiple "desktops" on one box. Before you sign in, click on change session to see all the desktop enviroments you have.

Btw, it might be better for you to just stay on Maya. I did that switch and it wasn't the most "fun" thing. but if you do decide to update, then do a clean install, not the upgrade.
If your box runs fine now, it's best to just stay, read here: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/2
So, Your saying, the new update isn't the best? whats the problems with it... It seems okay, I might just have to use the bootable test drive... Im gonna stay with cinnamon though, Unless Mate is faster.....
Main: Asus C201p running ArchLinux ARM Dualbooting with ChromeOS

Second: Dell Latitude E4310 | Intel i5 540M 4gb Ram|320gb 7200 rpm Drive|[color=#FF0000Windows 10 64bit.[/color]
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

J.Naw wrote:So, Your saying, the new update isn't the best? whats the problems with it... It seems okay, I might just have to use the bootable test drive... Im gonna stay with cinnamon though, Unless Mate is faster.....
That's not so much what I'm saying, but rather what Mint and Linux users in general say. Upgrading can be semi-difficult even if you're doing a straight clean install.
I upgraded to Nadia 14 w Cinnamon, but there really isn't much difference. In hindsight, I would've just stayed on Maya bc everything was already configured. I have been able to get it all back, but it took a few hours or so.

I dunno whether MATE or cinnamon is "faster", i guess it just depends on your rig. I just hate the look and feel of MATE and love the way Cinnamon is laid out. Cinnamon just seems more user friendly and more "like windows" to me, especially the 'Menu'/'Start' button. Again, you can have both desktops installed and just choose which one you wanna login to at the login screen so you can try both.
NeoSeven

Post by NeoSeven »

I would like to install cinnamon along with mate on Mint 13.

By selecting mint-meta-cinnamon, there are a lot of dependent packages set to be installed a well. My question is: If I wanted to remove cinnamon again after doing that install, is synaptic going to remove the additional stuff on which cinnamon is dependent on, too?

You know, I just want to install the cinnamon desktop. No gnome shell and no unity. Cinnamon and mate should be the only sessions available to select. Is that possible?

Last time I tried installing cinnamon, I was missing the panels, in mate as well as in cinnamon. I do not want to make this happen again.

Is there any save way to perform this cinnamon istallation?
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

Try reading this: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1079
That should be everything you need...

NOTE: There are many risks involved with adding multiple desktops

Return to “MATE”