SOLVED: mintmenù disappears!! please help!!

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

SOLVED: mintmenù disappears!! please help!!

Postby anassor on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:30 am

Hello everyone! i really hope that someone can help me fix this problem...it's not huge, but it bothers me because i choose to pass from Ubuntu to LinuMint Mate due to all the problems of stability with Unity, and now i have this problem: the mintmenù disappears at every reboot!
i've been using linuxmint 14 Mate for 3 days now, and i barely installed nothing... i added a panel, and i added on it the icons that i need, and personalised the mintmenù. the it started to disappear...

as i said, it's not huge because i can right-click un the panel (in an other spot) and just add a menù.
but not the mint menù, if i try to do that, the same errror message appears. i have to choose from the other 2 menù options i have, one only with an icon, and the other similar to gnome 2 menù.
When i add this other menu, then for some kind of magic the mintmenù appears! and it works, no problem at all. but i can't just keep doing that at every reboot!
it's some problem with python? i tried to find the directory .gtk-bookmarks and it's not there, so i ingenually created it. but at the reboot the problem stays.

here's the error message:

Impossibile inizializzare il plugin places : Traceback (most recent call last):

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 337, in PopulatePlugins
MyPlugin.do_plugin()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py", line 285, in do_plugin
self.do_gtk_bookmarks()

File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py", line 235, in do_gtk_bookmarks
with open(os.path.expanduser('~/.gtk-bookmarks'), 'r') as f:

IOError: [Errno 21] È una directory: '/home/rossana/.gtk-bookmarks'
Last edited by anassor on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anassor
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintmenù disappears!! please help!!

Postby xenopeek on Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:29 pm

Please reset your mintMenu to its default settings. You can do so from the terminal with the command:
Code: Select all
mintmenu --reset

Afterwards, note that you can have only one instance of mintMenu running. That means you can have it only on one panel, dock, or whatever else there is to put it on :P You get the (not so helpful, agreed) following message when you try to run another instance of mintMenu.
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu".

Solution is to remove mintMenu from all other panels, docks, or whatevers and only add in one place.

As to the .gtk-bookmarks error, you can probably resolve this by creating at least one bookmark, or by deselecting the "Show GTK Bookmarks" on the Places tab in the Menu preferences (why would you select to show GTK bookmarks, if you haven't created any :wink:). To create bookmarks, open Caja (file browser) and notice the Bookmarks menu. Go to a few folders you would like rapid access to (like Documents, Pictures, etc.) and then select to add them as a bookmark.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby anassor on Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:47 pm

now i understand why i've been having that error! Thank you very much!
anassor
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Boblebad on Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:57 pm

xenopeek wrote:Please reset your mintMenu to its default settings. You can do so from the terminal with the command:
Code: Select all
mintmenu --reset

Afterwards, note that you can have only one instance of mintMenu running. That means you can have it only on one panel, dock, or whatever else there is to put it on :P You get the (not so helpful, agreed) following message when you try to run another instance of mintMenu.
The panel encountered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu".

Solution is to remove mintMenu from all other panels, docks, or whatevers and only add in one place.

As to the .gtk-bookmarks error, you can probably resolve this by creating at least one bookmark, or by deselecting the "Show GTK Bookmarks" on the Places tab in the Menu preferences (why would you select to show GTK bookmarks, if you haven't created any :wink:). To create bookmarks, open Caja (file browser) and notice the Bookmarks menu. Go to a few folders you would like rapid access to (like Documents, Pictures, etc.) and then select to add them as a bookmark.

I got the problem after updating to Python 2.7.4 cause of Brasero asked for it...

But neither of these things helps, i even found this at GitHub https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/i ... t-16057012

I'm still getting "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu", and i have only one desktop, only bottom panel - i read somewhere that the problem was that the @PATH was messed up, but couldn't find the configuration files...

I'm running Mint 14 Mate

Anyone who can help before i'm going to reinstall ?

All the best
Carsten, Denmark
Best regards
Carsten, Denmark
Boblebad
Level 2
Level 2

Return to MATE