No graphical output in login creen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
navpp

No graphical output in login creen

Post by navpp »

Hello,
I just installes Linux Mint 14 Mate on my Acer Aspire V3 771G (intel i3 and nvidia GeForce GT 630M, Optimus) and I am facing a strange problem. When "showing" the login screen, the display stays black (no output at all). I can hear the "login screen ready"- sound, type in username and password (without seeing anything) and after hitting Enter the screen goes on again and the system works quite normally. Using "Automatic login" somehow works around the problem, but as it is a portable device, it doesn't solve it. My knowledge on recent graphics solutions is very limited, but for me it seems like there is an issue with the driver used before the log in. So there is no splash screen either on bootup, only textbased output with a very low resolution.
Any idea anyone? Thanks for every hint! :)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
orkultus

Re: No graphical output in login creen

Post by orkultus »

Hey check out my blog. orkultus.wordpress.com. I have an Acer Aspire V3-771G-6851. I had the same problems you did while installing mint. I have a walkthrough for it all.

Good Luck!

-Orkultus-
kz205

Post by kz205 »

I had exactly the same graphics card gt630m and same problem. Black login screen but you can still type in your username and password to login even though you can't see what you're typing.

Anyway if you're too lazy to look through that blog then for your convenience here is the solution that I got from it:

First open grub using gedit, emacs or whatever you like
sudo emacs /etc/default/grub

Then either comment out or delete the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and replace it with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

then do
sudo update-grub

and that's it. This link should get you to the specific page if you want all the details: http://orkultus.wordpress.com/2013/01/page/2/
Oph5pr1n6

Post by Oph5pr1n6 »

kz205 wrote: First open grub using gedit, emacs or whatever you like
sudo emacs /etc/default/grub

Then either comment out or delete the line:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

and replace it with
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_osi=Linux acpi_backlight=vendor"

then do
sudo update-grub

and that's it.
Thank you! this worked for me on an Acer V3 -731-4477 with an I915 chipset.

Return to “MATE”