MDM login screen and multiple monitors

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
devosion

MDM login screen and multiple monitors

Post by devosion »

When I boot up up with my dual monitor setup my login screen always appears in my second monitor, and not the primary monitor that I setup with the nvidia control panel, which always appears black. When I was using ubuntu lightdm had a nifty solution by activating both monitors and determining the orientation of the login screen by the location of the mouse. Is there a way I can set up something similar with the mdm login, or a way to have it only appear on a specific monitor? If so how do I go about doing that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ghendricks

Re: MDM login screen and multiple monitors

Post by ghendricks »

I am having the same issue, only I have a laptop and two monitors. I usually have the laptop docked and unopened since it only supports two monitors at a time. When it boots, it uses my primary monitor for grub and the iniitial splash screen, but then insists on using the (closed) laptop monitor to display the login screen. I then have to open the lid to see the login form. Once I login though, it switches back to the external monitors. I would like a way to force it to use the external monitors is the lid is closed. Is there a setting for this?
ebramwells

Post by ebramwells »

Still present in Mint 15. I'm using the Cinnamon edition (I know this is a MATE thread), so perhaps this is a Mint problem not specific to desktop environment or hardware. I'm running an AMD graphics card with the proprietary drivers, perhaps this is causing problems? Anyway this issue is compounded by the fact that not only MDM opens on the second screen (in my case the monitor on the left) but most program windows if maximised will open on the second screen as well. It seems to be that by default new windows will open on the second screen; loading screens (e.g. the LibreOffice loading screen) also start on the second screen, even if the window then jumps to my main monitor (as it is not maximised and I have moved it). This is not conducive to a usable/productive operating system! :(
kenetik

Post by kenetik »

Bump, no resolution to this?
anandrkris

Post by anandrkris »

https://github.com/linuxmint/mdm/issues/79 You all might want to add your comments in MDM github, which has better developer visibility. More traction on the issue, better chances of issue getting fixed. :)
langloispy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by langloispy »

Hi!

Maybe you could try this fix (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 0#p1046926)

py
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Return to “Software & Applications”