Workspace switcher looping

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
zerodeficit

Workspace switcher looping

Post by zerodeficit »

Hi,

Assuming a 4 workspace enviroment: [ws1][ws2][ws3][ws4]
Is there a way to loop from workspace 4 to workspace 1 by switching one workspace to the right?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
bjornmu
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Workspace switcher looping

Post by bjornmu »

Ctrl-Alt-Left and Ctrl-Alt-Right should do it.
zerodeficit

Post by zerodeficit »

Yes, that's how you switch through adjacent workspaces, however if you hit Ctrl+Alt+Right when you're in workspace 4, you do not go to workspace 1.

To reiterate: Is there a way to go from right most workspace to the left most workspace by switching one workspace to the right.
TazX

Post by TazX »

I was having the same problem (in Cinnamon, but still) and found the answer while trying to fix something else (set my default number of workspaces to 4).

First you need to install dconf-tools.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install dconf-tools
Then go to dconf-editor (you should be able to open it in the menu, but the command-line command

Code: Select all

dconf-editor
works equally well).

Select the dropdown arrow for 'org' and go to your windows manager (cinnamon for me, presumably it is mate for you). Select the 'overrides' menu, and you should be able to turn on something called 'workspace-cycle.' Bingo, you can now cycle through your workspaces.

PS - you can choose how many workspaces to have using dconf-editor too - it is under your theme, scroll down to number-workspaces (I've entered 4). In fact, now I have it I'm keen to experiment - it looks like a powerful way to personalise Mint.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Can't you set up keyboard shortcuts for that? So instead of using a key combination with only the left and right arrow keys, instead try something like ALT + PGUP for work space 1, ALT + Left Arrow for work space 2, ALT + Right Arrow for work space 3, and ALT + PGDN for work space 4? On my keyboard the page up and page down keys are also the up arrow and down arrow keys which is why I wrote it like that.

I don't use cinnamon but I'd think you should be able to set up 4 convenient keyboard shortcuts, one for each work space?
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

If you use Mint 15 and Mate, do not try to change the keys to switch between workspaces or the hell will appear on your computer.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

I have ALT + 8 set up for WS1, ALT + 9 for WS 2, and ALT + 0 for WS 3. It's been that way for 4 days now. Works like a charm, even tested it after logging out and in, rebooting the system, and cold starting the computer from a shut down. My setup is Mint 15 with Mate. Don't know why you have problems with those keyboard shortcuts, but they work just fine for me.

Okay, I guess in all fairness I should add that I'm running XFCE panels though since I never cared for the Mate panels. I noticed that the XFCE panels were in the repositories separately so I could install them without actually installing all of XFCE. My workspace switcher is the one from the XFCE panel and that seems to work like a charm. I still have the Mate panel too. The only thing that's on it is my Mint Menu. I keep the panel hidden in the corner of my desktop and use the XFCE panels for everything else ... :lol:
Works for me!
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
AngeloGomes

Post by AngeloGomes »

Yes, it is something related to Mate as you don have the problem with XFCE.

I concluded that after I had to re-install 4 times my Linux Mint 15 64 bits. After the 4rd install I decided to not touch anymore the keyboard shortcuts to switch between workspaces. I just let it as it was installed, i.e, the default settings.

It is a boring issue, but I am loving Linux Mint anyway. Simply the best Linux Distro I used so far.
TazX

Post by TazX »

Heya,

I'm using MATE now (I managed to break Cinnamon - doh!). I managed to find the setting you need in dconf-editor. Go to mate > marco > general, and at the bottom of that setting will be something called wrap-style. It will be on 'no wrap' - where it doesn't wrap around. Change it to classic (there is a drop down menu) and you will be good to go.

Return to “MATE”