MATE does not remember mp4 as file extension

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
simplex

MATE does not remember mp4 as file extension

Post by simplex »

When I open an mp4 file and I go through right click -> open with application -> choose VLC -> remember this association, I got Totem again and again. Every other file type works. This drives me nuts.

Greetings,
S.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Skara Brae

Re: MATE does not remember mp4 as file extension

Post by Skara Brae »

Maybe a useless question, but - what if you right-click on an mp4 and choose "properties" (That's how it works in Windows, too) and then VLC Media Player? Double-clicking on an mp4 now starts VLC automatically; before, it used to be "Movie player".

Or starting the Control Center and then choosing "Preferred applications", and there VLC as "Multimedia player"?
simplex

Post by simplex »

Skara Brae wrote:Maybe a useless question, but - what if you right-click on an mp4 and choose "properties" (That's how it works in Windows, too) and then VLC Media Player? Double-clicking on an mp4 now starts VLC automatically; before, it used to be "Movie player".

Or starting the Control Center and then choosing "Preferred applications", and there VLC as "Multimedia player"?
If VLC is already selected as the player in the properties pane, it is used. But I have to do this for each and every file manually again. Changing the settings in the Control Center does not help for the general problem.

Maybe it is a problem of Caja, the file browser?

S.
overthetop

Post by overthetop »

As a workaround you can try to open ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list and replace the word 'totem' with 'vlc' where appropriate.
dhm

Post by dhm »

Thank you, overthetop. I had a different problem with a wrong extension. Mate has no way to edit these. That is something that should be added to a future edition. My question would have been "Where are the file extension definitions stored?" and you answered, ~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.

That's a start. It doesn't directly address my problem and I will have to post a question on the forum.

Return to “MATE”