Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
k357k9
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mate 1.6 released - Someone already tried?

Post by k357k9 »

@AJ1000

Thanks for your reply.
MartinaNeumayer

Post by MartinaNeumayer »

blackcap wrote:For those who have upgraded to MATE 1.6, you can download mintmenu 5.4.0 from the Olivia repository (http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .0_all.deb) and manually install it. Afterward, right click on an empty area of a panel, click on "Add to Panel...", then select "mintMenu" to add it to the panel.

I have done this on Mint Nadia/MATE 1.6, and I haven't had any issues with the Mint menu so far.
Cool! Thnx for the deb!
Work like a charm :D
MartinaNeumayer

HardyH wrote:
AJ1000 wrote:HardyH has not had much luck with mate 1.6, so best to do a backup with Remastersys or Clonzilla live, before attempting the upgrade. I have not had issues with it, but others have. I will be trying my Manjaro upgrade once I get home from work.

Good luck, you will need it....
H.
"luck"? heheh..
Backups are faaaaar better :D
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

riki wrote:
fromWinToLin wrote:Upgrading from MATE 1.4 to 1.6 on Linux Mint 13 ruined everything for me. I have to reconfigure all my settings, figure out what wasn't properly migrated, and now I no longer have the Mint Menu! My fonts are also messed up!

What happened? MATE 1.4 to 1.6? It feels like 1.4 to 2.0!

Why would those who maintain the MATE repository for Linux Mint go ahead with 1.6? It wasn't even ready yet, and it doesn't read the user's custom settings from 1.4!
I agree with you. Mine is a mess, if I'd known I would have stayed put and not upgraded. Big mistake.
I should also add that some tools no longer work, such as "Desktop Settings." No matter what I change under Desktop Settings, it does not affect MATE 1.6.

Really bummed out about this... Seriously considering just moving to Xubuntu LTS.

UPDATE: Another problem I noticed with MATE 1.6 is that the "close" button in the upper-right corner no longer registers on maximized windows when you click in the very upper-right corner! You must precisely aim the mousr cursor directly over the button! This was not the case on MATE 1.4 or any other DE for that matter (Xfce, KDE, GNOME). Previously, I could just slam my mouse cursor all the way to the upper-right corner, without any precision, and easily close maximized windows. Not any more...
Last edited by fromWinToLin on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

blackcap wrote:For those who have upgraded to MATE 1.6, you can download mintmenu 5.4.0 from the Olivia repository (http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/main ... .0_all.deb) and manually install it. Afterward, right click on an empty area of a panel, click on "Add to Panel...", then select "mintMenu" to add it to the panel.

I have done this on Mint Nadia/MATE 1.6, and I haven't had any issues with the Mint menu so far.
Doesn't work for Mint 13 LTS. I get an error about loading the Applications plugin, and nothing shows up on the menu.
mokito

Post by mokito »

is it safe to do the "update" from the MATE team repos?? have read some opinions good and some bad.. so i'm divided... maya 13 mate 32 bits on asus netbook x101ch...
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

MATE team repos are the original upstream source repos. If you don't trust the source itself, what else ? But if you are looking for stability and complete distro integration, you should however wait for your distro to make it available in its own repos.
Last edited by eanfrid on Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mokito

Post by mokito »

eanfrid wrote:MATE team repos are the original upstream source repos. If you don't trust the source itself, what else ? But if you are looking for stability and complete distro integration, you should however wait for you distro to make it available in its own repos.

i will wait for mint to update it ;) don't wan't to mess up the config eheh was seen on previous posts.

fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

eanfrid wrote:MATE team repos are the original upstream source repos. If you don't trust the source itself, what else ? But if you are looking for stability and complete distro integration, you should however wait for your distro to make it available in its own repos.
Except that there are no updates to MATE on the official Linux Mint repositories. Mint 13 is stuck at MATE 1.2, which has its own share of incompatiblities and bugs. So I wanted a long-term support release (Mint 13 LTS) with at least SOME polish and compatibility, which is why I used the MATE repository. Everything was fine on MATE 1.4 with Mint 13, but it all was thrown out the window with the update to MATE 1.6.

Another problem I noticed with MATE 1.6 is that the "close" button in the upper-right corner no longer registers on maximized windows when you click in the very upper-right corner! You must precisely aim the mousr cursor directly over the button! This was not the case on MATE 1.4 or any other DE for that matter (Xfce, KDE, GNOME). Previously, I could just slam my mouse cursor all the way to the upper-right corner, without any precision, and easily close maximized windows. Not any more...
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

fromWinToLin wrote:Another problem I noticed with MATE 1.6 is that the "close" button in the upper-right corner no longer registers on maximized windows when you click in the very upper-right corner! You must precisely aim the mousr cursor directly over the button! This was not the case on MATE 1.4 or any other DE for that matter (Xfce, KDE, GNOME). Previously, I could just slam my mouse cursor all the way to the upper-right corner, without any precision, and easily close maximized windows. Not any more...
:shock: It works as usual here... Perhaps you messed with something else when you upgraded. I removed Cinnamon and installed MATE 1.4 instead then upgraded to MATE 1.6 from the official team repos and didn't meet any problem worth to mention.
Mint 13 is stuck at MATE 1.2, which has its own share of incompatiblities and bugs. So I wanted a long-term support release (Mint 13 LTS) with at least SOME polish and compatibility, which is why I used the MATE repository.
MATE 1.4 is in LM13 backports since months ago; you don't need to fetch this version in MATE team repos.

Edit: oops zerozero answered faster than me :)
Last edited by eanfrid on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

fromWinToLin wrote:Except that there are no updates to MATE on the official Linux Mint repositories. Mint 13 is stuck at MATE 1.2, which has its own share of incompatiblities and bugs. So I wanted a long-term support release (Mint 13 LTS) with at least SOME polish and compatibility, which is why I used the MATE repository
not true http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225 (maya has mate 1.4 provided by mint and fully integrated)
Brahim Salem

Post by Brahim Salem »

"Set GSettings/GConf metacity theme if compiz or metacity are running" Does that mean I can change window border when compiz is running :D :D :D :D
what about compiz-fusion-plugins-extra will Mate 1.6 support it :D :D :D
Last edited by Brahim Salem on Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

zerozero wrote:
fromWinToLin wrote:Except that there are no updates to MATE on the official Linux Mint repositories. Mint 13 is stuck at MATE 1.2, which has its own share of incompatiblities and bugs. So I wanted a long-term support release (Mint 13 LTS) with at least SOME polish and compatibility, which is why I used the MATE repository
not true http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225 (maya has mate 1.4 provided by mint and fully integrated)
Those are instructions to use the Nadia backports. You're basically using Nadia packages for Maya. Ubuntu does the same with their repositories. This only raises the question "What's the point of sticking with an LTS?" (Besides, by enabling the "backports" repository, I do more than just update MATE...)

Don't like the graphics drivers? Just use a repository with updates to X and video drivers.

Don't like the DE? Just use backports.

Outdated applications? Use backports or third-party repositories, especially if the application authors have a different idea about "bugfix releases" and "feature releases" than the distro authors.

Or, why not just use the next iteration of the distro? Or, instead of "backports", release them in the standard repositories?

For a long time, Canonical's "feature freeze" policy applied to third-party application's such as Firefox, even when it made no sense. (LTS users were stuck on the 3.6.x branch for the longest time.) This type of mindset still continues, with other applications. Luckily, Canonical makes exceptions for more popular applications.

It has gotten to the point of being silly.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

eanfrid wrote:
fromWinToLin wrote:Another problem I noticed with MATE 1.6 is that the "close" button in the upper-right corner no longer registers on maximized windows when you click in the very upper-right corner! You must precisely aim the mousr cursor directly over the button! This was not the case on MATE 1.4 or any other DE for that matter (Xfce, KDE, GNOME). Previously, I could just slam my mouse cursor all the way to the upper-right corner, without any precision, and easily close maximized windows. Not any more...
:shock: It works as usual here... Perhaps you messed with something else when you upgraded. I removed Cinnamon and installed MATE 1.4 instead then upgraded to MATE 1.6 from the official team repos and didn't meet any problem worth to mention.
Messed with what? I simply ran a routine update to my system with the Mint Update Manager. I had not touched any settings before, during, or after.
eanfrid wrote:
Mint 13 is stuck at MATE 1.2, which has its own share of incompatiblities and bugs. So I wanted a long-term support release (Mint 13 LTS) with at least SOME polish and compatibility, which is why I used the MATE repository.
MATE 1.4 is in LM13 backports since months ago; you don't need to fetch this version in MATE team repos.

Edit: oops zerozero answered faster than me :)
See my post above.

This is akin to telling someone "Don't use the Banshee repository to get stable updates to Banshee! Just enable the ENTIRE BACKPORTS repository for your distro if you want to update Banshee. Oh, and enabling backports will also mess with any other packages besides Banshee. Have fun pinning certain application versions or messing with priorities for certain packages against certain sources!"
zerozero

Post by zerozero »

Besides, by enabling the "backports" repository, I do more than just update MATE.
not in mint (and not in this situation): you are updating mate or cinnamon, period.
for someone who was complaining that maya was stuck in an outdated (and buggy, according to you) version of mate and had to resort to third-part repos to update the DE it's at least weird complaining now that mint offered an update of mate to its LTS.
fromWinToLin
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fromWinToLin »

zerozero wrote:
Besides, by enabling the "backports" repository, I do more than just update MATE.
not in mint (and not in this situation): you are updating mate or cinnamon, period.
for someone who was complaining that maya was stuck in an outdated (and buggy, according to you) version of mate and had to resort to third-part repos to update the DE it's at least weird complaining now that mint offered an update of mate to its LTS.
Yeah, you're right.
LCJr

Post by LCJr »

All I can say is I have yet to experience any issues on either Mint 13 32-bit or Manjaro 64-bit and I hope it stays that way. The Arch 64-bit repo was missing a lib but once reported the packager had it fixed in about 20 minutes.

Sucks I had to give up Mint Menu but I can live without it for awhile. Having to reset your wallpaper, fonts and theme isn't really that big of deal, although I have to say the faux Ubuntu theme was an unpleasant surprise. Brought back bad memories of my brief flirtation with Unity:P On the Arch front this version of Mate is SystemD compatible so not having to rely on the no longer developed consolekit is a big plus.
riki
Level 4
Level 4

Post by riki »

Well, the dust has settled this end. Problems over. I have gradually reconfigured Mate 1.6 to my previous settings and everything is working fine again. Back to normality.
MartinaNeumayer

fromWinToLin wrote:

Doesn't work for Mint 13 LTS. I get an error about loading the Applications plugin, and nothing shows up on the menu.
Confirmed.
Work in Mint 14.
Don't work in 13.
On every start menu give errors like this:
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

eMcE wrote:Confirmed.
Work in Mint 14.
Don't work in 13.
On every start menu give errors like this:
This commit looks like it can fix the problem. You can wait for version 5.4.1 to be released - or edit the file yourself and see if the problem goes away. :)

Return to “MATE”