User2 unable to "Switch User" when User1 locks screen

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gizmo28

User2 unable to "Switch User" when User1 locks screen

Post by gizmo28 »

Using Linux Mint 13 (maya), 64-bit, kernel 3.2.0-23-generic

Everything was great. 2 x users on my system. I could login at the login page, lock my session and user2 could then click 'Switch User' and click on his user to login. Worked for months,

Then, by mistake, I installed the KDE desktop (by installing 'KDE Games'. Long story, don't ask. In doing so, I lost the graphical login entirely - every time the system booted it booted to runlevel 3 and I had to type startx to get a login screen, and even then, it was the KDE one.

I eventually got a non-KDE graphical interface by doing :

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install gdm
sudo apt-get --purge remove kde*
sudo apt-get --purge remove kubuntu-desktop

However, the problem now is that if User1 logs in, locks the screen, and user2 approaches to login, there is only the option to "Cancel" or "Unlock" user1 - no option to "Switch User".

Googling (http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&t=104336) revealed that running this fixes it :

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/mdmflexiserver /usr/bin/gdmflexiserver

When I ran that, it said usr/bin/gdmflexiserver already existsed. So I rm'd it and ran the command, which completed.

However, when I lock my screen, other users still cannot "switch user".

Other than telling me to re-install, can anyone suggest how to fix?

Thanks

Ted
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gizmo28

Re: User2 unable to "Switch User" when User1 locks screen

Post by gizmo28 »

Looks like it's a re-install then? Surely somebody here is expert enough to know of a solution or at least something to try?

Return to “MATE”