Advice on setting up Compiz in Mint 13 Mate

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Advice on setting up Compiz in Mint 13 Mate

Postby mark1mint on Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:42 am

Hi there,I'm in the process of setting up Mint Maya Mate edition with Compiz effects:my aim is to make them work as similarly as possible to Ubuntu Lucid,which I also happen to have on another partition of the same computer.

Lucid has however an older Compiz version installed,namely 0.8.4,and as far as I can tell it has been working reasonably well,in that I've been able to set up all the effects I wanted with relative ease (I understand that Compiz is an advanced tool and must be used with care):not so with Maya and its newer Compiz version,some effects work just fine whilst some others refuse to cooperate,especially Desktop Cube and Rotate Cube,which wreak havoc on my desktop.

If I enable those,the screen flickers pretty badly everytime I spin the desktop,and windows opened in the various desktops get lost or are stuck minimized to tray,which has never happened with Lucid,all settings been equal as far as I can tell (Horizontal size 4/Vertical size 1/Number of desktops 1).
Also,the entire Compiz settings manager occasionally just crashes when I tweak some settings,sometimes taking away the whole X server with it.

Whilst searching the web for "Compiz screen flickering" I've come across this post http://forumubuntusoftware.info/viewtopic.php?f=106&t=8503 that tracks down the flickering issue to a bug in the Compiz package installed in Ubuntu 12.04 (therefore I assume it should be the very same package that Synaptic installs in Maya) and suggests to fix this by installing a PPA for an update Compiz version,as outlined here https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/compiz/+bug/862430.

What do you think? Is it worth trying this fix ? I'm not to keen on mucking about with PPAs especially for such a complicated package as Compiz,on the other hand I had to disable the effects that actually don't play nice on my Mint Maya installation,and who knows if other bugs will surface as I keep using it.
mark1mint
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to MATE