How to take screen shot, Mate, Mint13, Lightdm

Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

How to take screen shot, Mate, Mint13, Lightdm

Postby AverageGuy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:19 am

I am running lightdm-gtk greeter. I found the default greeter (unity-greeter) didn't give the flexibility I wanted. I wanted to generate a document for people wanting to use this computer when I wasn't there and so wanted a screen shot of the login screen. This is the way I did it. I'm sure it's not the only way and maybe not the best way, but it worked.

Generate a script, greet.sh and make it executable:
Code: Select all
cat << 'EOF' > /tmp/greet.sh
#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/mate-screenshot -d 5 &
EOF
chmod +x /tmp/greet.sh

Now edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, mine looks like:
[SeatDefaults]
#greeter-session=unity-greeter
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
user-session=gnome-shell
greeter-setup-script=/tmp/greet.sh

The only change I made was to add the "greeter-setup" line.

Now execute:
nohup /etc/init.d/lightdm restart &

Warning, once you do that you will be immediately logged out, so make sure you save anything you were working on. After about 5 seconds you'll see the familiar save screen shot display. Note that I was unable to change the file name from Screenshot.png for some reason, but I was able to save it in a different directory from the default.

After you log back in, don't forget to remove the "greeter-setup" line from the conf file.

Note that this only works for lightdm, it won't work for mdm. I didn't test it on others but it should also work for any valid greeter.

This document can be found at http://k4gvo.com/node/2 once the DNS servers propogate. Give it at least 48 hours.
Jim.
AverageGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to MATE