Panel missing

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
johnno56

Panel missing

Post by johnno56 »

Running with Mate 13 and decided to install AWN (Avant-Windows-Navigator). Moved my main panel from the bottom to the top. (as you do...) Modified the setting of AWN to startup when the system boots. (only modification)

This morning I started my pc, AWN started and displayed as it should, but then noticed that my panel that I had moved to the top was gone. Not hidden, gone. Googled to find a solution. Several solutions found but could not be actioned. All of the solutions suggested actions via a "terminal". My added problem is, that ATL+F2 does not work. (I tried various ALT+ options without success)

No problem. ALT+CTRL+F1 and logged in as root and removed and purged AWN (in the hope that perhaps AWN caused the problem and its removal would restore the desktop). AWN removed and purged. But the problem still exits. I was fortunate that I had at least a Firefox shortcut on he desktop, and with it, created this report.

Is it me that may have caused a problem or is there a "bug"?

All I can do with my machine is email and browse the net. I have no "Menu" button to access any applications or shutdown (which I can onlt do via ALT+CTRL+F!).

Any advice or assistance woud be appreciated. Note: This is a fresh install.

J
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
johnno56

Re: Panel missing

Post by johnno56 »

UPDATE:

Performed an "ALT+CTRL+backspace" and changed the "session" to "Mate" as the default, and all is back to normal.

I would still like to know why/how the problem occured. (just in case I did something stupid and not wanting to repeat the event...)

I do not know how to close this posting...
nehpets99

Post by nehpets99 »

THANK YOU!

I actually just switched from Cinnamon to Mate (fresh install) yesterday. I boot up 20 mins. ago and had the exact same problem you were having. In fact, I was even about to post my problem when I saw your post and CTRL+ALT+Backspace did the trick.

I too would like to know how this happened.
johnno56

Post by johnno56 »

I am glad it helped. Curious? Why the change from Cinnamon?
unome

Post by unome »

EXACTLY--tnx. I was using Mate and downloaded Cinnamon. Then had no menu bar, start menu, or anything.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace and choosing the Mate session restored everything to normal for me as well.
So many thanks for posting.

Return to “MATE”