Can I add a "shade window" button to titlebar like in XFCE?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SteveFAL

Can I add a "shade window" button to titlebar like in XFCE?

Post by SteveFAL »

Shading (rolling up) windows has always been one of my favorite/most useful Linux desktop perks. Don't know how I lived without it for all those Windows years!
In Mint/Mate, as in Ubuntu/Gnome 2.x i have always shaded with a double-click on the title bar (after enabling it in the preferences). However I *hate* double-clicking on *anything* if I don't absolutely have to. (I've already switched my mouse to left-handed due to issues with my index finger knuckle.)
After recently installing Puppy Linux with XFCE on a cheap netbook, I found the wonderful XFCE title bar button that shades with a single click! It was a huge "Why didn't they invent that sooner?" moment.
I've always felt that the title bar has a lot of wasted space and could be put to better use than just the minimize/maximize/close buttons, and the XFCE shade button hit the proverbial nail on the head. (Though I can think of many more functions to put up there as well).
MY QUESTION is: Is there any way to put such a thing on the title bar in Mate? I have no problem editing .config files from the command line or whatever else may be necessary to do such a (seemingly) simple thing.
While on the topic, if it's not a near-impossibility, perhaps there could, in a future version of Mate, be a way to put several custom buttons on the title bar, like the old Firefox add-on Custom Toolbar Buttons? There are lots of things that would be nice to be able to do to a window or application with a single mouse click on a title bar button (e.g. move to workspace x).
--THANKS
--Steve
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Re: Can I add a "shade window" button to titlebar like in XF

Post by xenopeek »

You can enable it (to the right of the window menu button) with the following command:

Code: Select all

gsettings set org.mate.Marco.general button-layout 'menu,shade:minimize,maximize,close'
If you prefer to do this graphically, install dconf-tools package and run dconf-editor. Then browse to org > mate > marco > general and edit the button-layout string there yourself. Separate buttons with a comma (,). The colon (:) indicates following buttons should be aligned to the right. Possible buttons:
  • menu - The window menu.
  • minimize - Duh...
  • maximize- Duh...
  • close - Duh...
  • shade - Roll up the window (only display the title bar).
  • above - Keep the window above other windows.
  • stick - Display the window on all workspaces.
Not all themes support the last three buttons. In fact, I found most don't. At least the themes Aldabra, BlackMATE, and GreenLaguna from package mate-themes support all of these.
SteveFAL

@Xenopeek Can I add a "shade window" button to titlebar...

Post by SteveFAL »

Wow,
It's great that not only my immediate request, but it seems others (depending on theme) are available.
HOWEVER, I cannot get it to work. Preferring the command line for it's quickness and simplicity, I tried that first, but got the message:
No such schema 'org.mate.Marco.general'
Next, I installed the dconf-editor with no problem, but under: " org > mate > "
there is no "marco" option. The only option under org>mate> is "atril"
Am I missing some file that needs to be installed?
--THANKS !
--Steve
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Well, let's take a step back then. Which version of Linux Mint are you using, and are you using the default MATE version or did you enable backports or the MATE repository to get a newer version of it?

I probably tested this on Linux Mint 14 MATE.
SteveFAL

Post by SteveFAL »

I'm using Mint 13 (Maya) 64-bit, with the stock version of MATE.

I always use LTS versions (which is why I switched from Ubuntu when the last pre-Unity LTS version lost support) whenever possible so functionality and features are consistent for a couple of years. (Nothing aggravates me more than change for the sake of change, especially as it always seems some feature I loved was dropped, e.g. one of the main menu options, "advanced", was dropped for Mint 14).
--THANKS again in advance!
--Steve
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Yes, well, LTS means you will be running older software versions for a longer time :wink: I forgot how to do this on the older MATE version, but it won't be using GSettings for sure. You will have to make a similar command for gconf I believe. Probably easiest to use the GUI instead, gconf-editor, and try and find the folder mate > Marco > general in there and manually set the button-layout value (if it is there on your version of MATE, but I guess it will be). To run gconf-editor, just type that command in a terminal. It will either run, or it will tell you what command you need to run to install it.
HappyTimeHarry

Post by HappyTimeHarry »

I believe the thing you are looking for is

Code: Select all

mateconf-editor
Then you could set /apps/marco/general/action_middle_click_titlebar to shade. It's not a single left click but it is a single middle click.

Well that is how you would do it in theory, but I'm guessing the default theme doesn't support it because it didn't work on my system.
Baumann

Post by Baumann »

Im using maya and in the mateconfig-editor you can set middle click actions like "toggle_shade".

I was looking for a way to user "toggle_above" as a button and the aurora theme does support this.

If you add "shade" button to the titlebar the icons for menu,shade,stick and above will be same.

Return to “MATE”