[SOLVED] Adding folders to places menu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
vdeane
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Adding folders to places menu

Post by vdeane »

I just upgraded to Olivia on my desktop and I can no longer add the "Documents", "Downloads", etc. folders to the places menu because they're already in caja's sidebar, so the old method of dragging them to the sidebar no longer works. How do I add them to the places menu?

EDIT: Looks like I can add them using the Bookmarks menu in caja and clicking "Add Bookmark".
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
dreamkatcha

Re: [SOLVED] Adding folders to places menu

Post by dreamkatcha »

It's good that we can add new folders to the sidebar, but what if you want to remove the default locations under the 'computer' heading? I keep all my non-OS files on another drive so don't need these links.
Comhon

Post by Comhon »

dreamkatcha wrote:It's good that we can add new folders to the sidebar, but what if you want to remove the default locations under the 'computer' heading? I keep all my non-OS files on another drive so don't need these links.
I have solved this issue. I replaced the folders with the links and it works OK for me now.

How to:
1. make link to the folder on another drive
-- for example the folder "Photos" on another drive.
-- I use context menu -> probably the link will be named something like "Link to Photos"
2. move the link to your /home directory
3. remove the folder "Images" in your home directory
4. rename the link from "Link to Photos" to Images
5. repeat 1-4 for all entries.
dreamkatcha

Post by dreamkatcha »

Nice job! Thanks very much for your help. :)
danielsaan

Post by danielsaan »

NB

- "places" in the mint menu and places in caja are not the same and are stored in different files.

Self reference: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=33061&p=787226#p787226

Return to “MATE”