Suddenly appearance changed by itself

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
andryij

Suddenly appearance changed by itself

Post by andryij »

Hey,
I've just reboot my computer and, out of the blue, everything is different now. My wallpaper is gone, "taskbar" went to the top of the screen, I lost this windows alike menu - i got some weird sidebar instead. A lot of other things changed as well (for example the system settings window is now lacking a few options I remember).
It's so annoying - I can't do anything now, even move this freaking taskbar from top to the bottom of screen.
What to do? My applications seems to work correctly, filesystem is fine. It just looks horribly wrong now (I hate those "new" graphical styles) and I want my old (standard linux mint) appearance - the one you get after installing the OS.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
daveinuk
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Suddenly appearance changed by itself

Post by daveinuk »

You need to provide some more info so people can help you, which version of mint (number? 13/15?) and which desktop? cinnamon/xfce etc etc ?

maybe a little info on your computer and what you had done prior to this happening may help
andryij

Post by andryij »

The thing is, I can't access that info. It was mint 15 and the desktop were MATE. Now, it says my linux is ubuntu 13.04 all of the sudden. I never had ubuntu installed on this machine (or even downloaded). I was doing just normal stuff like watching youtube, chatting on pidgin etc. I guess I installed updates, but the new updates are beeing released quite frequently anyway.

So i guess my problem is that my linux mint suddenly changed by itself into ubuntu. Any ideas?
Edit: Obviously, I can't find any updates-menu (like it was on Windows) to roll-back changes (is it even possible?). I've never had ubuntu before, mint is my first.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Sounds like your session opened in Ubuntu Unity instead of Mate. When you login choose Mate Session from the login window, I believe it's second button on the bottom:

http://www.linuxmint.com/pictures/screenshots/olivia/mdm.png

This image doesn't show because it's cinnamon edition of Mint but yours should say Mate

http://blog.shaffner.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/step_4.2.png
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
andryij

Post by andryij »

Thank you very much. I wasn't aware of these options - it's nice to switch between those thou. It works good now, problem solved

Return to “MATE”