MATE 1.6 on Mint 13 32-bit success and some questions

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
r2d1

MATE 1.6 on Mint 13 32-bit success and some questions

Post by r2d1 »

Hello everyone! I am a noob to Linux Mint and this forum but have been experimenting for over 25 years on various OS. I have successfully installed MATE 1.6 on Mint 13 32-bit, after following the directions on the wiki.mate-desktop.org. I know that I may have jumped the gun by not waiting for the backport but nothing ventured, nothing gained.

The problems have mainly been with high cpu utilization (95-100%). I conquered most of this by removing the replaced and deprecated packages mentioned in the release notice. My question to the group is what other mate 1.2 packages can safely be removed without damage to Mint 13. I unloaded mint-settings-daemon which provided a big gain and no damage but there are still several, remaining mate 1.2 packages installed. May all the mate 1.2 packages be removed safely or is this going to be trial and error? Thanks for any input.

My system: FCPU~Single core Intel Pentium 4 CPU (-HT-) clocked at 2992.438 Mhz Kernel~3.2.0-51-generic i686 Up~38 min Mem~450.6/1000.7MB HDD~838.0GB(53.8% used) Procs~151 Client~Shell inxi~1.7.33
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: MATE 1.6 on Mint 13 32-bit success and some questions

Post by passerby »

Rather than remove the old packages, one thing you can do is temporarily disable all repositories apart from the MATE one, refresh the packages list, then apply all upgrades that you can safely perform.
r2d1

Re: MATE 1.6 on Mint 13 32-bit success and some questions

Post by r2d1 »

Thanks for the suggestion passerby. I did try this but nothing new was presented for updates and nothing was added for removal. The system has settled-down now and is only using about 5% of the CPU. I am not sure if the improvement is due to the system finishing all the updates or if it was the removal of some of the older MATE components. Anyway thanks for the assistance.

Return to “MATE”