How do you change the notification timeout until it fades?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

How do you change the notification timeout until it fades?

Post by mideal »

I can't find a way to change the timeout value for the notification bubbles ("You are now connected", "postbox xy has n new mails"), which are much to big, too (IMHO).

It seems endless until they disappear (do they at all?) - I always click them away after a few seconds.
I'd appreciate a value of 1-2 seconds and smaller bubbles.
A surplus would be a list of notifications I don't want, like those mentionded above:
- when I connect to a WLAN or WWAN, I expect the connection anyway (and will see the appropriate icon)
- when I open Thunderbird, there will always be new mails (if I'm connected and not only want to read an old mail)

Who can help with the time? (The others seam to be a new idea, which I will push to the idea stack).

BTW, there is still a similar request since February for Cinnamon by another user.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Re: How do you change the notification timeout until it fade

Post by billy72j »

I looked in the Control Center and found the Pop-Up Notifications in the Personal section and that's where I would expect to find the possibility to set the length of time for the notifications and also the font size for them, but unfortunately that is not the case.
At least for the size, there are some font settings inside the Appearance Preferences, but they don't seem to have any direct bearing on the font size of the Pop-Up Notifications (yes, I tested it).
Anybody else have some insight?
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

To my knowledge the notifications are hard coded since those are not a working app that people use like any other program. That's why there are 3 or 4 notification themes so you can pick the one that you can live with the best ....
I spend about 12 hours per day on my machine ... and see notifications less than 5 minutes of that ... 8)
Heck, 95% of the time I don't even pay attention to them. :lol:
PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
mideal
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mideal »

You're right, most of the time there is no notification at all.
When I start Thunderbird to write an email (e.g. when using another applications "send this as email") and want to put an attachment to it,
it quite often happens that when I move the app into the mails (and with that, the desktops) upper right corner, TB comes up with
"Dirk has got 1 million new mails" exactly where I want to drop something :roll:
Or I want to change between UMTS (WWAN) and WLAN, and the notifivation "now offline" comes up, and I cannot use the pulldown menu for the network in that corner.

It is annoying!
Yoga 910 16GB/2TB running Mint 20.3 Cinnamon 64Bit

Return to “MATE”