Home folder don't work in any dock

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tadpole1954

Home folder don't work in any dock

Post by tadpole1954 »

I'm using Mint 13 mate. I've tried Cairo dock, Docky and Dockbar X and the home folder I place on each will not work. This is not 100% tho as it did work on Dockbar X once. But, never since, and I've tried a lot. All other links on the docks work fine. It's just the one. Anyone have an idea what could cause this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Home folder don't work in any dock

Post by MrBob22 »

Hello:
Just as a test, I loaded Cairo Dock on my Linux Mint 14 desktop, and it seems to work just fine. I have access to home folder and lots of shortcuts too.
When you say the home folder does not work, what error are you getting? Are you not able to open the folder?
MrBob22
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrBob22 »

PS, I guess I am wondering if the permission level for your home folder might be blocking access by the docky. MrBob22
tadpole1954

Post by tadpole1954 »

I'm not getting an error at all. The icon bounces around for a few seconds and then nothing. I will look at the permissions and see if I see anything.
tadpole1954

Post by tadpole1954 »

I guess I need help on permissions. I right clicked the home folder and chose Properties/permissions. The three dashes were showing. I tried to change to read and write but the next time I went there after re starting, it was displaying the same 3 dashes. I accessed the Home folder with sudo and couldn't change it at all. So, obviously I don't know what I'm doing here. I don't remember having to mess with this before.
MrBob22
Level 3
Level 3

Post by MrBob22 »

Open your terminal program.
cd to your home folder
Use the su command to enter in superuser mode
then use the chmod 777

Code: Select all

chmod 777 home
Then your permissions should be changed to allow access.
Hope this works to solve the issue. I have been playing with the Cairo conky and it works really well on my Linux Mint system>
MrBob22

Return to “MATE”