Unlocking issues

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
cobrakai

Unlocking issues

Post by cobrakai »

Hi Ya'll, I apparently am having some issues with unlocking my Mate. Whenever I lock the screen and attempt to unlock, it tells me that my password in incorrect. Then when I go to switch user and i attempt to use the same password to login as the already logged in user, I haz no problemz.

Anyone have any idea what's going on with that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Unlocking issues

Post by caf4926 »

Sounds like you got your passwords messed up in your head.
Check Caplocks too.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

Nope I've tested it a ton. Doesn't let me unlock, just have to go into switch user and unlock that way. Its kind of annoying. I feel like I should be able to to unlock normally. I've tried it probably 30 different times. I thought it was just me screwing it up too, but after trying like unlock then switch user then unlock back and forth and every time I get the unlock wrong, but switch user works, something is wrong there. It's not just me.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

Hypothetically
Lets say you have 2 users:
1. adam
2. bob

adam installed and later created bob

So if you apply this to you
adam can't unlock but bob can
If you first from reboot login as bob, can bob unlock? or do you have to switch to adam
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

If I boot up and login as Bob, then lock the computer I am unable to unlock as bob. Then when I go to switch user, and login as bob, the computer unlocks. If it makes it any easier, pretend there is only one user on the system.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

So you can access switch user from a locked screen?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

Yeah, i have 4 options,

Leave Message, switch User, unlock, cancel

Mint 15 with Mate.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

cobrakai wrote:Yeah, i have 4 options,

Leave Message, switch User, unlock, cancel

Mint 15 with Mate.
I just checked on my Mint 13 Mate install and it works for me
and you are correct about those options.

If the passwords are different for each login, which seems likely.
Does the other password unlock the one that doesn't unlock?
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

What do you mean? This is not a problem about having the password wrong for different accounts. This is only one account. Is there a separate password you can set to unlock a computer rather than just login? because I've removed other accounts now to verify that wasn't the issue. There is currently only one account on the computer, and it does not allow me to unlock the computer using the correct password. I've tried a ton of times.

Let me clear this up. there is 1 account. When I attempt to unlock the computer from a lock screen, it says I used the wrong password. I've attempted the password a ton, knowing I got it right. I then Attempted any other password I would have set it to, no luck. When I go to switch user, and log in to the only account on the computer, the password works fine again. It is only on the lock screen that I have issues with the password, thus far.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

But if you create another account. Reboot and login to it. Then lock the screen. Does it unlock.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

:-( nope that didn't work. I really hate the idea of reinstalling just to get that to go away. I know my work laptop doesn't do it, so tha's weird that my home one would.
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7

Post by caf4926 »

cobrakai wrote::-( nope that didn't work. I really hate the idea of reinstalling just to get that to go away. I know my work laptop doesn't do it, so tha's weird that my home one would.
It's odd
IIRC there was a bug in 15 regarding lock screen. I think it didn't lock at all....
I dropped using 15 because it was too buggy. Went back to 14 and now have 16.
Linux Mint 21.1 Cinnamon
cobrakai

Post by cobrakai »

right on, I'll see how 16 treats my computer. Thanks for the advice.

Return to “MATE”