SOLVED: "Open in Terminal" opens with xterm

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pico77

Post by pico77 »

Dear All

this problem is driving me nuts. After my last update (22/11/2013) of my Mint 13 (mate) the caja file browser was sort of reset to default. After I set back all things to my liking I noticed that the "Open Terminal In" functionality with right-click on/in a folder disappeared. So after some googling I found I installed back "caja-open-terminal".

The functionality is installed but for some strange reason when I use it it open an "xterm" session where my default terminal is mate-terminal... I also added TERM=mate-terminal in my .bashrc file.

Is there anybody out there that knows where the hell the problem is?

Pietro
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Re: "Open in Terminal" opens with xterm

Post by Flemur »

Caja probably has some place to set the terminal to open...

In thunar: Edit -> Config Custom Actions.
In pcmanfm: Edit->Prefs->Advanced.

Edit: the above two file managers were opening different terminals, therefore not a system-wide setting.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
pico77

Post by pico77 »

Flemur wrote:Caja probably has some place to set the terminal to open...
...yes... where is it? Itried in Configuration Editor, but that did not change the strange behavior after update!

P
pico77

Post by pico77 »

Dear All

after days of trials... I'm still in dark!

Pietro
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Menu > system > preferences > favorites apps > system tab > terminal emulator ?
pico77

Post by pico77 »

eanfrid wrote:Menu > system > preferences > favorites apps > system tab > terminal emulator ?

If get on that, "terminal emulator" does not allow to choose any option, is like the menu is not active.

P
pico77

Post by pico77 »

Dear All

I solved the problem by going back to the gnome-terminal... it seems the bug was caused by mate-terminal:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge mate-terminal
sudo apt-get install gnome-terminal  nautilus-open-terminal
nautilus -q

Best Wishes
Pietro
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

pico77 wrote:
eanfrid wrote:Menu > system > preferences > favorites apps > system tab > terminal emulator ?

If get on that, "terminal emulator" does not allow to choose any option, is like the menu is not active.
It should :? It does work on all my three MATE desktops, under either Mint 13 or Debian Wheezy (MATE 1.6). You certainly don't have to use any part of nautilus (including nautilus extensions) in the MATE/caja combination since it will at least not work as expected.

Return to “MATE”