Worrying bug? Screen blanks; shows passwords!

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rapido

Worrying bug? Screen blanks; shows passwords!

Post by rapido »

Hi, I am using Linux Mint Maya (Mate edition) and just had the following happen.

The screen blanked some minutes ago - this has happened before a few times, but usually I just Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

However this time I pressed a few other random keys and suddenly my Linux Mint username and password was displayed in the top left of the screen! This was followed by my webmail username and password on the next line, followed by my Ebay password on the third line.

I realise that is everything I have typed this morning.

Now this makes me worried about security in Linux Mint and/or Mate if usernames and passwords can be displayed on screen!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rapido

Re: Worrying bug? Screen blanks; shows passwords!

Post by rapido »

Just a note that it's just done it again.

The desktop went into screensaver mode when I went away, but moving the mouse didn't help when I returned.

Then I pressed "Escape", and everything I had typed (usernames, passwords, emails, URLs etc) was shown on the screen!

Obviously a very worrying bug, and doesn't fill me with confidence to continue using Linux Mint (a shame as I've been using it almost a year now, and almost stopped using Windows XP).
Arp
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Arp »

Hi,

I find that very worrying, but I was not able to reproduce this. I turned of screensaver and the option that the computer would be locked if screensaver is active, but when I press esc nothing weird happens. Screen comes back and I am prompted to unlock the screen.

Do you have a series of steps that will always reproduce this?
rapido

Post by rapido »

No, I have been using Linux Mint for almost a year, and this has only happened twice (albeit twice in one week!).

Return to “MATE”