Mint Menu display problems

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DrMcKay

Mint Menu display problems

Post by DrMcKay »

I installed Mint 16 MATE 64-bit edition on a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop (Intel Pentium Dual core 2.1Ghz, 4Gb of RAM, integrated Intel GMA4500).
Everything works perfectly.
Only, when after boot, I click on the Menu button, I don't get to see the menu right away. It shows a vague outline and then I have to click the button again to close the menu. After that, the menu appears normally when I click on the Menu button.
Does anyone have the same issue with the MATE edition of Mint 16 ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
computerbob

Re: Mint Menu display problems

Post by computerbob »

I'm looking at the specs on your model laptop. It said 96MB video ram. You might want to run Xfce on that.
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

Hmm, are you sure the video ram is that low ? Win7 ran perfectly fine with all graphical bells and whistles...

Edit, just checked myself : Intel GMA4500MHD, max. RAM allocation 256Mb
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Some specs I looked at said 96, others 256. I suspect it's the latter. But that would not be what I'd suspect to be the problem anyway.

Just because everything works in windows does not mean it's going to work as well in linux. That's one of the first things new linux users need to learn.

The ubuntu drivers for the GMA4500mhd gpu seem to have had problems in the past but after a quick peek, they all seem to be a couple of years old. It's easier to find references to old problems than them being fixed.

If everything else works fine it's probably not a driver with the gpu drivers anyway, though, is it? You could try going into preferences for the menu button by right clicking it and taking out the text in that field. That should probably make it load a bit faster.

Big hint in linux: find out the terminal commands that display your hardware and search for that under linux.

Also: most mint desktops are ubuntu based. Askubuntu and ubuntuforums are excellent places to get support info for those mint desktops. Truth be told, way better than here. You can't ask support questions there and expect much answers though. Mint doesn't use current ubuntu kernel versions ... which is a plus as long as the hardware support is there, mint seems to be better sorted in many ways. And they can't be expected to support mint anyway.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

I'll give your suggestions a try, thx.
As for the ability to handle the graphics, it should be fine because I once tried out Mint 14 Cinnamon and that worked like a charm. Unfortunately, my wife wanted Win7 back at the time (it's her laptop, I have a Macbook) but I finally managed to convince her to use Linux.
After long consideration, I opted for Mint because I'm not too keen on Unity.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

Actually I don't think that really helps the menu start up time ... mine displays properly, it just takes forever to load and appear in the panel.

I use a hideaway panel on the left side to switch workspaces and tried adding a menu button to the panel ... I added a button there to reboot/exit and that comes up immediately. But it didn't work for the menu button.

I think it's just a mate problem and trying to blame your hardware is disingenuous I think.

It's not a big problem for me because I use Dolphin as my default file manager ... I never use caja unless I'm copying to/from external usb devices ... and it takes even longer to load in a non KDE desktop because it loads in a lot of other kde services. Worth it to me though. I don't want to use anything else.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Icarus149
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Icarus149 »

DrMcKay wrote:Does anyone have the same issue with the MATE edition of Mint 16 ?
After installation of MATE Backports (MATE 1.6 for LM 13), I have the same behavior with the mint menu. When I first click on the Menu button after boot, it only shows the outlines of the menu. Always need to click a second time then everything works fine. Didn't spend much attention to this until I read this post... Seems to be another bug...
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

Icarus149 wrote:
DrMcKay wrote:Does anyone have the same issue with the MATE edition of Mint 16 ?
After installation of MATE Backports (MATE 1.6 for LM 13), I have the same behavior with the mint menu. When I first click on the Menu button after boot, it only shows the outlines of the menu. Always need to click a second time then everything works fine. Didn't spend much attention to this until I read this post... Seems to be another bug...
Can we file some kind of bug report or is Clem (I believe that's the name of the main 'Mint man') watching this forum regularly ?
If it is a bug, how big is the chance it gets fixed before Mint 17 ?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

DrMcKay wrote:Can we file some kind of bug report
Yes, at github.
DrMcKay wrote:is Clem (I believe that's the name of the main 'Mint man') watching this forum regularly ?
Of course no. Developers are busy with developing stuff.
DrMcKay wrote:If it is a bug, how big is the chance it gets fixed before Mint 17 ?
Depends on whether Clem (or someone else from the team) can reproduce it and find out why it happens.
Of course, if you don't file a bug report, chances are it won't be fixed at all. :)
DrMcKay

Post by DrMcKay »

Pulled in a few updates yesterday, the problem seems to have been solved...
Icarus149
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Icarus149 »

DrMcKay wrote:Pulled in a few updates yesterday, the problem seems to have been solved...
I can confirm :D after recent update, problem solved :D
papamint

Post by papamint »

It isn't solved by updates for me. I unchecked compositing and now it works okay.

Running LM 16, 32 bit on 64 bit pc

Return to “MATE”