[Solved] Keyboard shortcut to open main menu

[Solved] Keyboard shortcut to open main menu

Postby dimonomid on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Hi all.

I want Ctrl+Esc to open main menu as it is in Windows. I already found keyboard shortcut "Show the panel's main menu", but this is actually different menu: at least, there's no search input, there's no favorites tab, and so on.

How can I set up keyboard shortcut to make it open exactly the same menu which is opened when I click "Menu"?
Last edited by dimonomid on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
dimonomid
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboard shortcut to open main menu

Postby austin.texas on Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:56 am

The left "Windows" key on my keyboard opens the Main Menu - does that work for you?
Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon (64 bit), Quad core AMD A8-3870 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Microsoft-free environment since 1996
If you want to help Linux Mint with a donation, please visit http://www.linuxmint.com/donors.php
austin.texas
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dimonomid on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:38 am

austin.texas wrote:The left "Windows" key on my keyboard opens the Main Menu - does that work for you?

No, it doesnt for some reason.
But this key is definitely working, since I can set some keyboard shortcut with it, and it works. (It is detected as "Mod4"). Say, combination Win+X is stored as "Mod4+X"
dimonomid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LinAk59 on Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 am

Hi. on my LinuxMint16 Mate i can open the menu with ALT+Space.
LinAk59
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dimonomid on Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:13 pm

LinAk59 wrote:Hi. on my LinuxMint16 Mate i can open the menu with ALT+Space.

Alt-Space actually opens "windows menu", i.e. menu for particular window: "minimize, move, close, etc..".
But if you're sure Alt+Space opens MINT main menu, i.e. menu with apps and with search input field, then please look in your Keyboard Shortcuts Settings: what command are called by Alt+Space there?
dimonomid
Level 1
Level 1

Postby LinAk59 on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:56 pm

Yes you are right :? , when I read your last message then I remembered that I have changed the shortcut to Menu.

But if you right-click on Menu then you will get a menu. And then select Preference and then the tab Main Button. There you can change the shortcut to the Menu.
LinAk59
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dimonomid on Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:48 am

LinAk59 wrote:Yes you are right :? , when I read your last message then I remembered that I have changed the shortcut to Menu.

But if you right-click on Menu then you will get a menu. And then select Preference and then the tab Main Button. There you can change the shortcut to the Menu.

Oh, thanks!
I looked for this shortcut in the common keyboard shortcut settings:
Code: Select all
$ mate-keybinding-properties

And I believe this shortcut actually needs to be there, but it's not: it's only in MainMenu's properties.

So I've changed shortcut to "<Control>Escape", then I had to logoff and log in back, and now, it works.
Thanks again! :)
dimonomid
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to MATE