[Solved] Can't load plugins for MintMenu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Hatfield

[Solved] Can't load plugins for MintMenu

Post by Hatfield »

I've just changed from XP to Mint 16 Petra 64 bit (running on an HP WX6600 workstation with 2x Xeon Quad Core E5420 2.5 Ghz with 8GB Ram) and all has been fine for about three weeks but on a reboot tonight MintMenu is no longer loaded - I get the following three error messages when I clik on the Menu symbol on the bottom bar:

Couldn't load plugin: places
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/mintMenu.py", line 246, in PopulatePlugins
X = __import__( plugin )
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/places.py", line 12, in <module>
from easybuttons import *
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/easybuttons.py", line 571, in <module>
iconManager = IconManager()
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/easybuttons.py", line 48, in __init__
os.remove(os.path.join(self.iconDir, fn))
OSError: [Errno 21] Is a directory: '/home/james/.config/mintmenu/.thumbnails'

Couldn't load plugin: applications
X = __import__( plugin )
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.py", line 21, in <module>
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/easybuttons.py", line 571, in <module>

Couldn't load plugin: system_management
X = __import__( plugin )
File "/usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/system_management.py", line 11, in <module>

Can anyone let me have an idiot's guide as to what to do next? All help gratefully received!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hatfield

Re: Can't load plugins for MintMenu

Post by Hatfield »

Ok, solved, well kinda...., sort of.....

After some overnight thinking and looking at the easybuttons.py source code at GitHub ....

It seems that the easybuttons.py plugin expects that there will be no sub-directories in the '/home/james/.config/mintmenu' directory as it gets a list of the files in this directory using contents = os.listdir() and then, using a for fn in contents loop, it removes them one by one with the os.remove(os.path.join(self.iconDir, fn)) command.

However, program(s) unknown have placed a sub-directory 'cthumbnails' in the ...../.config/mintmenu directory with the result that included in the for list of files to be removed is the '.thumbnails' directory which then gives rise to the OSError no. 21.

Deleting the .thumbnails directory and then reloading the plugins restored my mintMenu.

Now I need to find out which program was responsible for the '.thumbnails' directory.

Return to “MATE”