Mint Menu and Mate Panel disappear

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
RobH

Mint Menu and Mate Panel disappear

Post by RobH »

Hi,
I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong place - i'm not sure if its best under desktops or under software...

I was an avid Ubuntu user for years until they Unity-fied it... it was then that I discovered Linux Mint - like a breath of fresh air :)
I have been using cinnamon since maya (?), which is great, but have recently been finding it a bit unstable on my hardware, so decided to switch to Mate last week... I am currently running Petra/Mate 64bit

on the whole I am finding Mate much more responsive, but keep noticing that my Mint Menu and Mate Panel keep disappearing for no apparent reason... also at the same time the menu (file/edit/view etc..) in all running apps no longer pulls down.... and docky also disappeared...

after some playing around, i discovered that they had not disappeared, they are just invisible... if you know where to click, it appears to work...

so - i found that i could right click where the docky icon should be and go to settings... settings were also invisible... i had to alt-f4 to get back to desktop, and TA-DA everything back to normal... so it must be Docky.... uninstall and tried cairo instead..... but same thing keeps happening, and i have to guess where to click on cairo to quit it.... click on where mintmenu should be and run cairo again, everything is back to normal again....

I have now found that the thing that makes it all do a disappearing act is when i am in LibreOffice (my main application), and highlight a few cells then either apply or remove a background colour...

this also happened with Nouveau drivers, Nvidia recommended drivers and Nvidia Updated drivers....

Ramble over. to summarise, Linux Mint 16/Petra 64 bit with Mate.
mint menu / mate panels / docky or cairo dock disappear and application menus won't pull down, when libreoffice calc cells are filled or unfilled with a background colour.

i would be massively grateful if someone can identify a solution to this

thanks, and regards.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rachus

Re: Mint Menu and Mate Panel disappear

Post by rachus »

Bump. Me too. I stumbled on a way to get them back (but it was when I had Synapse installed). I would use the Ctrl+spacebar key-combination to invoke the Synapse application and both Conky and my panel(s) would reappear. I don't use Synapse currently, but thought my experience might lend to help someone solve this?
Monsta
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Monsta »

RobH wrote:I have now found that the thing that makes it all do a disappearing act is when i am in LibreOffice (my main application), and highlight a few cells then either apply or remove a background colour...
Compositing problem?
rachus

Post by rachus »

Yes. Thanks very much.

mate-window-properties
Menu > Windows > General tab > Compositing Manager > 'Enable software compositing window manager'

Return to “MATE”