Customization in MATE: Is it the best?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ChristofferHN

Customization in MATE: Is it the best?

Post by ChristofferHN »

Hey!

I use Linux Mint and have used it a few weeks now. Before i used Cinnamon, but I switched to MATE because I found out that Emerald doesn’t work on Cinnamon, because Cinnamon uses Gnome 3. As far as I’ve understood, it works with MATE. I’ll go ahead and installing Emerald pretty soon, but I just have som questions.

Is MATE the most customizable version of Linux Mint? I have plans already to install compiz and cairo dock, including of course Emerald. Do you guys recommand anything to customize it more or some other tips? I would be glad for any help I get. Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Aristotelian

Re: Customization in MATE: Is it the best?

Post by Aristotelian »

Consensus is KDE is the most customizable.
ChristofferHN

Post by ChristofferHN »

Aristotelian wrote:Consensus is KDE is the most customizable.
Okey, thanks! Why is that so? Have it better support for anything or what?
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

ChristofferHN wrote:
Aristotelian wrote:Consensus is KDE is the most customizable.
Okey, thanks! Why is that so? Have it better support for anything or what?
More special effects and applets, as far as I can tell.
ChristofferHN

Post by ChristofferHN »

Applets that are pre-installed or applets that you can download from the package manager? Which one have better support for that?
Aristotelian

Post by Aristotelian »

ChristofferHN wrote:Applets that are pre-installed or applets that you can download from the package manager? Which one have better support for that?
They would moodtly be installed manually. Again my understanding is KDE has the most options (but it is also the most resource intensive). MATE is more on the level of XFCE and Cinnamon. Best thing to do is try a couple on usb sticks and pick the one you like best.
ChristofferHN

Post by ChristofferHN »

Okay, thanks for the info. I’ll most likely keep MATE or KDE.

Return to “MATE”