Qiana Mate panel need to be replaced to start working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
y-man
Level 1
Level 1

Qiana Mate panel need to be replaced to start working

Post by y-man »

Hi everyone,

Just installed Qiana Mate edition.

I have the following problem:

When I first start the system, and login as myself Mate Panel appears first at top, and all by itself moves to bottom. This does not bother me, as I want it at the bottom anyway.

However the panel is there but nothing on it is alive.

I have to open a terminal from desktop background menu (thank heavens we have that!), and run "mate-panel --replace" to get it to work normally.

Not a big deal, but may be someone in the know can help me fix this.

Thanks in advance, for reading and replying.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
AJ1000

Re: Qiana Mate panel need to be replaced to start working

Post by AJ1000 »

This is happening to me as well. If anyone has any solutions, I would be grateful.
kabooth

Post by kabooth »

Hello all. Probably not the most elegant solution but it worked for me-
I used the "Start up applications" tool and made an entry "Panel" using the command "mate-panel --replace" without thhe quotation marks. On start-up the panel just appears correcly the first time instead of the top and bottom and is active. Hope that helps
hamishmb
Level 1
Level 1

Post by hamishmb »

I had a similar issue after installing compiz, and what fixed it for me was creating a new panel with the same stuff as the old one, and then deleting the old one, and moving the new one to where it was. Weird, but it worked! Maybe that's worth a try?

Hamish
unkilbeeg
Level 1
Level 1

Post by unkilbeeg »

kabooth wrote:Hello all. Probably not the most elegant solution but it worked for me-
I used the "Start up applications" tool and made an entry "Panel" using the command "mate-panel --replace" without thhe quotation marks. On start-up the panel just appears correcly the first time instead of the top and bottom and is active. Hope that helps
Thank you. You saved me a ton of head scratching and forehead smacking.

If it helps (and if you're trying to fix this with a lot of machines that have this problem) do this on one of those machines. It will create a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart/ I called mine mate-panel.desktop.

Then just copy this to all those machines and put it in the .config/autostart/ directory and it will fix this problem.

Return to “MATE”