Desktop fonts are displayed in a weird way...(dark-ish)

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Desktop fonts are displayed in a weird way...(dark-ish)

Post by robenroute »

Hi there,

Installed Qiana MATE in my computer and sometimes (I haven't discovered the pattern yet, but it seems to occur right after boot and after the screensaver was activated :? ) the fonts on the desktop are displayed rather darkish (see attachment). As soon as I open the Appearance settings (from Control Centre) and fiddle with the Font settings, everything is back to normal, or the way the letters should be displayed. Next time I boot, letters are dark again. Anyone suggestions to get rid of this rather unimportant but annoying issue?

Thanks & regards,

Robenroute
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Minterator

Re: Desktop fonts are displayed in a weird way...(dark-ish)

Post by Minterator »

Does the problem resolve if you change desktop background to an image?
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

Same problem described here.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

Problem is indeed described in the post you mentioned, Woodsman. Switching to an image as background does resolve the issue. Still find it weird... It's clearly not completely cricket, because as soon as I open the Appearance Settings window (without changing a single thing), the desktop fonts change to white.

Thanks for your replies Woodsman & Minterator. I suppose I could make a background image myself and use that.

Thanks again.
woodsman

Post by woodsman »

The root problem is Mate does not support colored fonts. Black or white only. There is no control center option to change the font color. Such a configuration option should be standard in any desktop.
robenroute
Level 2
Level 2

Post by robenroute »

woodsman wrote:The root problem is Mate does not support colored fonts. Black or white only. There is no control center option to change the font color. Such a configuration option should be standard in any desktop.
I could live with just black and white, but what concerns me is the fact that the font is white, I log out/reboot the machine and the font has magically turned to black. Furthermore, as soon as I open the Appearance Settings window, the letters change back to white again. Ah well, smells like a bug. Like I've said before, it's not a massively distressing issue, but annoying nonetheless.

Cheers.
cheesefrock

Post by cheesefrock »

Gnome color chooser (it's in the repository) lets you change the desktop icon font color.

However, robenroute's got something else much more interesting going on. Sorry I don't have any help for that...

Return to “MATE”