[SOLVED] Remove search menu from the mintMenu

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
The Sentinel

[SOLVED] Remove search menu from the mintMenu

Post by The Sentinel »

I'm using Linux Mint 17 Qiana - MATE.
I would like to remove search menu from the mintMenu but I cannot find how to do this.
How is it possible to do this?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
gtsfer

Re: Remove search menu from the mintMenu

Post by gtsfer »

Since you have Mate, open Control Center and see if there is an item called "Main Menu" in there. Go to "Accessories" or whatever sub-menu you're looking at there and just uncheck "Search for Files" or the item you are looking at removing. (you can right-click and delete it too, but if you decide you want it back later unchecking it is the easier way to go)
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Thanks gtsfer for your quick answer!
I'm not talking about the search file available in accessories sub-menu.
I'm talking about the search menu that appear in the bottom of the main menu (see picture attached).
Do you know how to remove this search from the main menu?
gtsfer

Post by gtsfer »

Wow, OK, I misunderstood. I have no idea how to get rid of that but I'll see if I can figure this out. Definitely a challenge, you might be stuck with it but I'll investigate a little.
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Thanks for your proposal netgooroo!

Just to give you more context on what I'm trying to do.
I will give my old computer (Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM) to a child of 9 year old and I'm expecting to customize the linux mint in order she has the most simple environment as it's her first computer:
- She only access to a list of predefined applications
- I don't want she change the configuration except the desktop background
- I don't want to give her access to a terminal
- I want to be able to access on her computer remotely in case of support

The "mintMenu" panel allow to customize everything I need except the search (that I consider useless and not adapted to a child)
The "Menu Bar" panel you are using provide the 3 menus : "Applications", "Places" and "System".
It seems it's not possible to have just "Applications" menu.
It's the same thing with "Main Menu" panel.
If you know how to do it or if you know another panel able to just display applications please let me know.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi the sentinel,

did you try a mate editor like alacarte or mozo https://github.com/mate-desktop/mozo

Not sure how deep they go for editing mate settings but you could try and share yor comments?
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Hi PatH57,

I used mozo [click right on Menu button -> Edit menu] for hiding some application.
I used mintMenuConfig.py [click right on Menu button -> Preferences] for hiding system and places plugins.
In mintMenuConfig.py (see picture below), I was expecting in Application tab to find a check-box for hiding the search button+field.
I used gconf-editor also but I didn't also the parameter for hiding the search button+field.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

well the only other thing I can think about is to check

Code: Select all

dconf-editor
it's probaly in there somewhere...
Also try to post on the mate forum they may knwo better
forums.mate-desktop.org/
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

I made a mistake in the previous post: I used dconf-editor, not gconf-editor (but I think they are similar).

I have posted also the question on Mate forum and the answer was:
MintMenu is not a MATE application, instead it is Mint specific application that is added to MATE by the Mint developers. If you want to know about Mint specific packages the Linux Mint forum is the best place to ask.
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi netgooroo

I've just tried it and it's exactly the same options as right clicking the bottom menu, nothing about hiding the search line? Or did I miss something?
Thanks
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Hi again,

must be me but I tried it again added the main mint menu in the applet and voila same as before no option to remove the search , I can remove apps,system and so on (as I said it's exactly the same as clicking right on the bottom left menu icon)
I must be missing something ,please provide another screenshot. I'm only seing this:
Screenshot-Main Menu.png
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

PatH57,
netgooroo is talking about another menu applet named "The main MATE menu" (see picture below), not talking about main menu (in fact mozo) for selecting the application to hide/show.
I start to believe this is not configurable in mintMenu applet :(
The main MATE menu.png
netgooroo,
Thanks for the level of details!
I agree that "The main MATE menu" applet doesn't include the search button+field.
But as I said in previous post about "Menu Bar" applet, it include Places and System sub menu that I would like also to remove/hide (see picture below).
Do you know how to remove system and places in the "The main MATE menu" applet or in "Menu Bar" applet?
Main menu.png
PatH57

Post by PatH57 »

Thanks,

that's what I saw the main menu applet doesn't give me more options then the right click on the bottom menu witch by the way is the same, Imust have replced it the standard one weeks ago :lol:

Also noticed that you can't add for example "other" if nothing is installed that would fit under the "other" category so the installation of software must also trigger something to enable this and place the icon in the right place?
The Sentinel

Post by The Sentinel »

Guys,

I found the solution for "Menu Bar" applet 8)
Launch dconf-editor then uncheck "show-desktop" and "show-places" from org.mate.panel.menubar (see picture) and as result only application menu appear
dconf-editor.png
Unfortunately, this doesn't work for "The main MATE menu" applet.

For mintMenu applet, I found a crappy solution (crappy because it's not configurable)

gksudo pluma /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/plugins/applications.glade&
then look for "hbox9" and update 3 lines below the property visible by False instead of True (in green background in the picture below)
applications.glade.png

cd /usr/lib/linuxmint/mintMenu/
sudo ./compile.py
Listing . ...
Compiling ./capi.py ...
Compiling ./compile.py ...
Compiling ./keybinding.py ...
Compiling ./mintMenu.py ...
Compiling ./mintMenuConfig.py ...
Listing ./plugins ...
Compiling ./plugins/__init__.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/applications.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/easybuttons.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/easyfiles.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/easygsettings.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/execute.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/filemonitor.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/get_apt_cache.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/places.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/recent.py ...
Compiling ./plugins/system_management.py ...
Compiling ./pointerMonitor.py ...
Listing ./search_engines ...
logout/login or reload the plugin (via a click right on MintMenu button) and you have the result expected!

In conclusion:
- MintMenu applet doesn't provide the possibility to hide the search menu. I will open a ticket https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint asking if they can do this in the incoming release
- I will use Menu Bar applet

Thanks for your help guys.
If you can help me on that problem also that would be really nice
See: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 6&t=172416
The Sentinel

Re: [SOLVED] Remove search menu from the mintMenu

Post by The Sentinel »

netgooroo,

in fact, each of the 3 applets we talked wasn't like expected

Remember this:
I will give my old computer (Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM) to a child of 9 year old and I'm expecting to customize the linux mint in order she has the most simple environment as it's her first computer:
- She only access to a list of predefined applications
- I don't want she change the configuration except the desktop background
- I don't want to give her access to a terminal
- I want to be able to access on her computer remotely in case of support

The "mintMenu" panel allow to customize everything I need except the search (that I consider useless and not adapted to a child)
The "Menu Bar" panel you are using provide the 3 menus : "Applications", "Places" and "System".
It seems it's not possible to have just "Applications" menu.
It's the same thing with "Main Menu" panel.
So in fact, what I was looking for a menu that provide only access to some applications (wihtout System, Places, search)
mintMenu was looking more customizable compared to the others, so that's why I asked first how to remove the search on mintMenu (because I knew how to remove Places and System on it)

I hope you understand now better what I was looking for.
Last edited by The Sentinel on Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
PatH57

Re: [SOLVED] Remove search menu from the mintMenu

Post by PatH57 »

Great,

you found a tricky way around but I would rather have a more friendly way of doing it, still I'll store your findings for later use.
Keep me posted on your ticket.
Thanks

Return to “MATE”