LM 17 MATE how to get scroll buttons back, please?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Centauri39
Level 4
Level 4

LM 17 MATE how to get scroll buttons back, please?

Post by Centauri39 »

On LM 17 MATE with the Mint-X theme, the scroll buttons have been removed (btw. what's the point in doing so, anyway?).

I know I can get these buttons back by using another theme, but I don't want to have anything else but the Mint-X theme,
because that's the only one with a dark locations panel on the left and with my preferred icons set.

How can I get the missing buttons into the Mint-X theme, please?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 17 MATE how to get scroll buttons back, please?

Post by LinWinux »

There must be something else that's causing that. Shouldn't assume that something was done if it makes no sense. I just changed themes on my Mint 16 to the Mint-X and the scroll bars with their button ends work just fine, plainly visible and functional. Did the same thing to my Mint 17 setup on another machine and everything is fine there as well. Odds are that whatever's going on has something to do with something that you did, and not something that the Mint developers took away. Just saying ...
Did you install Compiz? Without a window decorator that could cause something similar.
Good luck.

PLEASE ... Don't respond to questions with meaningless or thoughtless comments!
PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
Architrave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Architrave »

There must be something else that's causing that. Shouldn't assume that something was done if it makes no sense. I just changed themes on my Mint 16 to the Mint-X and the scroll bars with their button ends work just fine, plainly visible and functional. Did the same thing to my Mint 17 setup on another machine and everything is fine there as well. Odds are that whatever's going on has something to do with something that you did, and not something that the Mint developers took away. Just saying ...
Did you install Compiz? Without a window decorator that could cause something similar.
Good luck.
I have exactly the same problem on four different computers and I can assure you it was this way from the moment I rebooted after each clean installation. I have a desktop PC, a netbook, a Shuttle nettop (which is being used as a media PC) and my wifes laptop. All of these were running Mint 15 with no problems and had Mint 17 installed with the hard drives being formatted in every case.

I am extremely unimpressed by your reply to the OP which more than implies that they have installed something or altered something in order to produce this annoying effect. You say you "shouldn't assume that something was done if it makes no sense" then go on to assume that the OP had caused the problem themselves. As far as I am concerned this is just another stupid little failing in Linux Mint 17 that, by moving to Mint, I was trying to get away from in the other distro's that I have used.

That said can someone tell me how to get the scroll buttons back, please?
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

I wrote that response because in my experience with Linux, nine times out of ten new users assume that the OS did something when in fact it was an adjustment of some type that the user made. Considering that nobody's responding to this post, the problem obviously can't be anything that a lot of people are having to deal with, hence the problem is rare. I've never heard of such a phenomena not having to do with the themes in all of my time with Linux. If you can't get scroll bars with any of the existing themes, try using Synaptic to install even more themes to try out ... or better yet for a (hopefully) quicker fix, just install another desktop via Synaptic such as XFCE ... then log out ... select the XFCE option for the new login ... and see if you have scroll bars. Have you already tried these things?
It only takes a few minutes of time ... instead of coming here to bust on me.

Again, you can replicate this problem on four of your machines ... while I can't get that to happen on any of my Mint 16 or Mint 17 machines ??? I use Mint 16 & 17 with XFCE by default. Maybe it's a *MATE* issue and not Mint, eh? The only way that I can see that happening is from installing the initial Mint 17 iso which from what I've heard had some bugginess for whatever reason. If you used that image on all of your machines, that would explain why that particular issue appeared on all of your machines. That seems pretty unlikely though. On the other hand, if you had backup info in your other machine's home/user folder which conflicts with the new Mint 17, then you'd see that problem even though you installed on a freshly formatted disk or partition ... after you included the home/user backup data into the new system. There has to be a logical explanation why just about nobody else is experiencing this problem. If the OS was to blame, I'd have to think this post would be swamped by people with similar issues.

BTW: The original poster stated point blank as a fact that the scroll buttons were removed. Now if that's not an assumption, I don't know what is ...

PLEASE ... Help others, don't be lazy! Take a moment to mark your post SOLVED if you received a solution.
cheesefrock

Post by cheesefrock »

They're gone on mine, too, and have been since the 17 release. I just assumed it was done for aesthetic reasons (which can often "make no sense" :lol: ), and used another theme. It wasn't a big deal to me, but I can understand wanting to keep the look of the Mint-X theme.

Maybe we can help the OP figure out what to look for to get the scrollbuttons back. We might start with looking for similarities between their system and mine, if the OP is still around. That could help us narrow it down.

Not using Compiz or another window decorator, for what it's worth.

We could also try to find some resources to help the OP get the dark background for the locations panel so they can incorporate it into another theme. I'm not a themer, so I've no idea where to start, but maybe somebody else here will have ideas.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Well, like I already stated, if the Mint-X theme is the only one that will suit the ops needs, then I'd suggest installing the XFCE desktop. It uses low resources and since it can be installed with Mint you can also use the Mint-X theme from the XFCE desktop, after logging in again. On my Mint 17 and two others that theme is no problem and the scrollbars with buttons are there. Only difference is that I'm using XFCE instead of Mate. Heck, you might actually end up liking XFCE better, certainly can't hurt to try, right? The only reason why I switched from Mate to XFCE is because of that ... I like the XFCE desktop and it's configurability better. But both of those desktops are designed to be resource friendly so there's no reason not to try the other of those two desktop environments, if the first one isn't working correctly. You might even be able to install XFCE from the software center directly. Not 100% sure since I haven't done it that way yet ...

If that fixes the problem then the issue is related to the Mate desktop, and not the Mint Operating System. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd suggest opening Synaptic followed by finding all of the theme related files and marking them for reinstallation. Just search for theme and mint-x, followed by right clicking on the marked files that show up in order to reinstall them. Last but not least, you could always download a new, most current ISO and re-install the system after backing up whatever needs to be backed up.

So far not one person with the mentinoed Mint-X theme has come back to report on results after having tried some of the suggestions here. That does make a person wonder just serious this issue is? Why post a problem and then not take the steps to find a solution based on recommendations? Ah well, good luck and let us know if anything in this post worked. If so, please don't forget to mark as solved.

I Know Nothing

Post by I Know Nothing »

Try editing the following lines in the /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file

GtkScrollbar::has-backward-stepper = 1 (changed value from 0 to 1)
GtkScrollbar::has-forward-stepper = 1 (changed value from 0 to 1)
GtkRange::stepper-size = 11 (can't remember what the original value of that was... 0?)

Worked for me with exactly the same problem.
cheesefrock

Post by cheesefrock »

I Know Nothing wrote:Try editing the following lines in the /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file

GtkRange::stepper-size = 11 (can't remember what the original value of that was... 0?)

That did it! Thanks for the solution, I Know Nothing! I hope Centauri39 sees it.

I'm glad it was just a theme problem. That's where my instinct was, versus it being a Mate problem, as all the other themes worked correctly.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

I still think that the above issues have to be related to MATE and nothing else. Day before yesterday I installed Mint 17 on a pretty old machine with an Intel DuoCore chip. The setup took forever because of the dirt slow WiFi, but when all was said and done everything was fine, including the Mint-X theme with it's scrollbars and buttons. As always, I installed Mint 17 with XFCE. This morning I installed Mint 17 on a fairly new machine with quad core and 8 GB of RAM. That machine also had the Mint-X theme working correctly out of the box. Since different desktop environments tweak themes as needed ... even themes that are shared across various desktop environments ... I conclude that the Mate developers must have accidentally caused for that glitch with the Mint-X theme not always working correctly under Mint 17 with Mate.

Truly, aside from Caja being a better file manager than Thunar, I do not see any difference between Mate and XFCE (except for the fact that I've always experienced better stability with XFCE through several Linux distributions). Well, whatever, problem was solved so that's a good thing. :D

Architrave
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Architrave »

I Know Nothing wrote:Try editing the following lines in the /usr/share/themes/Mint-X/gtk-2.0/gtkrc file

Thank you for your solution, it worked for me too. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you have discovered. I am quite happy with Mate and the default theme and don't want to spend hours messing and tweeking my computers (and changing DE's etc.) when I should be able to just use them. This is my reason for coming here and asking the questions when I have a problem in order to circumvent all that.

I don't come here to "bust on" anyone but the reply to the OP was not particularly helpful. We are not all "new users" and don't deserve to be treated like numpties. That is probably why the OP hasn't been back and I don't blame him. From looking at the solution, changes had been made and obviously, since it worked fine for the majority of people, it was between the original and the V2 respin of MATE.

Anyhow, that's another niggle sorted. Only about half a dozen to go and Mint 17 will be as good as 15 was.
LinWinux
Level 4
Level 4

Post by LinWinux »

Thank you for your solution, it worked for me too. I appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you have discovered. I am quite happy with Mate and the default theme and don't want to spend hours messing and tweeking my computers (and changing DE's etc.) when I should be able to just use them. This is my reason for coming here and asking the questions when I have a problem in order to circumvent all that.
That's exactly why I use XFCE ... because I love to have my system customized and looking perfectly my way ... quickly ... without muss and fuss. It takes seconds to install another DE such as XFCE or you can install the Mint version of XFCE to begin with, and then pull in from Mate things like Caja which only takes a few seconds too. The only reason why I use XFCE is because it's easier, faster, and more attractive to configure than Mate. The panels are cleaner, far more configurable, can be made to be 100% transparent, and you can even have multiple panels side by side or smaller panels on the same row. With me it's all about configurability without wasting a bunch of my time.
I don't spend hours installing and tweaking things. I spend minutes, and that's it.
If I could ever do with Mate panels what I can do with XFCE, then I would be using Mate instead .... :)

I Know Nothing

Post by I Know Nothing »

Architrave wrote:Anyhow, that's another niggle sorted. Only about half a dozen to go and Mint 17 will be as good as 15 was.
Agree with that. 15 worked fine out of the box, 17 I've had to go searching the internet and editing config files to fix a few things.

Edit: Actually that's not entirely fair... 17Mate does allow you to open windows in the centre now which you couldn't do in 15 without editing files again. So some you win some you lose.

Return to “MATE”