Gnome2 MATE Desktop

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kaidok

Gnome2 MATE Desktop

Post by Kaidok »

Hey there,

New to the forum as a user but not as a lurker and have been lightly using Mint for a couple of years. I love Cinnamon and use it as the daily driver but got an email the other day about Ubuntu Mate, which got me thinking about Gnome2 (the only way I've ever known MATE - I love Cinnamon, remember?). So I thought, because I love Mint, that I'd install MATE on my laptop as a secondary UI to play around with and tinker with. When I logged in after install, you can imagine that I was greeted with a UI that I wasn't expecting. Not in a bad way by any stretch, just ... different.

My question is, as you can probably imagine, is there a way to bring the "Gnome2" version of MATE to Mint (I'd rather have Mint than Ubuntu .. by a lot) or is that just a non-deal? I know I can go into the panel and customize it with things like MATE Main Menu and moving things around, but is there a way to actually install the Gnome2 version and have it all done automagically in Mint? Or does it actually require using a separate distro all together?

I'm using Mint 17.1, in case that matters.

Thanks a lot! :mrgreen:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kaidok

Re: Gnome2 MATE Desktop

Post by Kaidok »

Sooooo, I found this post (very helpful). I was going to post against it however, it's locked. So my question is, does anyone know how to move the list of tray icons from one panel to the other? They're currently on the top panel (the main panel) but I've created a secondary panel on the bottom of the screen, where I'd like the "taskbar icons" (if that makes sense - the long, rectangular "icon" (for lack of a better term) which appears when you open an app) to go, rather than on the top with the menus and indicator icons.
Kaidok

Re: Gnome2 MATE Desktop

Post by Kaidok »

Figured it out. You've been a great help! Thanks! :D

Return to “MATE”