Mint Mate focus follows mouse stops working

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rnclark
Level 1
Level 1

Mint Mate focus follows mouse stops working

Post by rnclark »

Hi, my first post here.
I've been a linux user for many years and since Ubuntu went Unity, I've been using Mint Mate. All has been great...except after doing a new install of Mint 17 I have this problem of focus follows mouse stops working. Under system -> preferences -> windows, then the behavior tab, "select windows when the mouse moves over them" is unchecked. I check it but there is no change. i must click to get focus. If I reboot or log out and log in, focus follows mouse is working again and checking the windows preferences the box I cite above remains unchecked. Focus follows mouse works for a while, then turns off. Clicking the box in the windows preferences, then closing the window and re-opening it and it is unchecked.

I've treid for a couple of months now trying to find the key when it stops working, but I have not been able to find any consistend pattern. Sometimes focus follws mouse works for days, and sometimes only a couple of hours after login. I consider myself a power user. I usually have 6 or so workspaces populated with different projects, dozens of windows open, from ssh into other machines for development, running windows in a virtual machine in another worlspace, email in another, etc. I have had the focus lost problem when not running the virtual machine. It does seem that the focus is lost more often when running libreoffice applications, but I had it lost once while searching directories with Caja.

Google searches show many have had this problem in the past and a bug fix suppoosedly solved the problem a few yeasr ago. My machine has had all updates applied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Roger
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rnclark
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Mint Mate focus follows mouse stops working

Post by rnclark »

Apparently I am not the only one with this problem. See:

MATE: focus-follows-mouse turns itself off after a while
https://bugs.launchpad.net/linuxmint/+bug/1359199

At the bottom of the thread, it says the checkbox was fixed:
A fix was just merged upstream in the 1.8 and master (1.9, 1.10) branches:
https://github.com/mate-desktop/mate-co ... r/pull/124

My mint mate is up to date at 1.8.1. But I do not seem to see the fix.

Roger

Return to “MATE”