Why is my launcher on top panel so slow?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phil168

Why is my launcher on top panel so slow?

Post by phil168 »

I have a directory that I access all the time (like 20 times a day).

I put a link to this directory on my desktop, and if I click the link the directory opens instantly.

However if I drag the link to my panel at the top of the screen, and then click on it, I have to wait FIVE seconds before the directory opens.

Why is this?

It did not used to happen on ubuntu.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
phil168

Re: Why is my launcher on top panel so slow?

Post by phil168 »

Maybe someone can help to debug the situation?

Alternatively is there somewhere else I can ask? (am I on the right section of the forum?), is there some other way to open a directory via the tool bar?, should I file a bug report? (does anyone else have this behaviour?)
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

You haven't stated what desktop you're using.

I don't know why the launcher is slow, but you can try manually adding a launcher.

You need to add a new blank launcher to the panel. The method will vary depending on what desktop it is. Next, you need to make the launcher execute the file manager and open a specific directory. What file manager it is depends on the desktop. For example, in Xfce, I could create a launcher to open the file manager (Thunar) in a specific directory, by making the launcher execute this:

Code: Select all

thunar /path/to/directory
phil168

Post by phil168 »

Thanks----I 'm using MATE (in my defence I did post in the MATE subsection).

Thunar does open a window nice and fast, but it doesn't open the righ sort of window. Specifically with the launcher I currently have I can press Ctrl-f and then search all my files (with the Thunar window ctrl-f doesn't work).

Google tells me that the mate version of thunar is called "caja" and that seems to work nicely.

Thanks again---problem solved.
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

I 'm using MATE (in my defence I did post in the MATE subsection).
Oh yes, i didn't notice that.
Thunar does open a window nice and fast, but it doesn't open the righ sort of window. Specifically with the launcher I currently have I can press Ctrl-f and then search all my files (with the Thunar window ctrl-f doesn't work).
This puzzles me. If you're using MATE, then the thunar command shouldn't work, because Thunar isn't installed. I said 'thunar' because I use Xfce, for which Thunar is the file manager.
phil168

Post by phil168 »

Right, I installed it, and have now uninstalled it.

Return to “MATE”