My Start Menu Has Gone Away

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MichaelJohn

My Start Menu Has Gone Away

Post by MichaelJohn »

The /root partition filled up totally on my Mint 13 64-bit laptop. To create some headroom I temporarily moved Python2.7 and Libreoffice aside. Whilst this gave the space I needed to sort things out after I moved then back and rebooted I had lost the Start Menu. I have tried reinstalling both Python2.7 and Libreoffice but the Start Menu has not come back. At the moment I can't think what to try next. Any ideas, or experience, on how to solve this problem.

Many thanks...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: My Start Menu Has Gone Away

Post by all41 »

If the Menu is missing from the panel try:

Code: Select all

mate-panel --reset
You will have to add back any applets or shortcuts in the panel
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MichaelJohn

Post by MichaelJohn »

I gave

mate-panel --reset
a go. It came up with:- The panel encoiuntered a problem while loading "OAFIID:MATE_mintMenu". Do you want to delete the applet from your configuration?

I said No as this seemed as if it could be the missing item. Nothing has changed - shoud I re-run with YES?
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

Try

mintmenu --reset
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
MichaelJohn

Post by MichaelJohn »

No joy I am afraid. It says it cannot find both platform independent and platform dependant libraries and that there is no module named site!
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

You can try:

sudo apt-get update
and

sudo apt-get install -f
If that doesn't work, try:

sudo apt-get remove mintmenu && sudo apt-get install mintmenu
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

MichaelJohn wrote:The /root partition filled up totally on my Mint 13 64-bit laptop.
Delete all of the .deb files in /var/cache/apt/archives.

Install baobab

sudo apt-get install baobab
Baobab is a graphical display of disk usage which will help you locate the cache files and other space hogging files. After installation it will be in your Menu > Administration > Disk Usage Analyzer
Actually, the best, and most accurate, way to use baobab is to use it on the live Mint DVD or USB. You don't have to install it, it is already there.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
MichaelJohn

Post by MichaelJohn »

Quick update... I eventually reinstalled Mint with a much larger /root partition as although I got things working of a fashion there seemed a never ending list of broken packages that had dependencies on other packages that were themselves (allegedly) broken. I will be monitoring disc space very carefully going forward...
1heavydee

Post by 1heavydee »

My GOD!! I want to thank you all for helping me get my start menu back!!! I have had the hardest time with that. I have seizures & when I get sick I mess up things around me. I destroyed my laptop's OS. I locked it and changed all my passwords. Yrs ago I use to make games for the Commodore 64, & build flip phones, but couldn't fix my Start Menu. I felt so depressed & stupid. Thanks everyone.

Return to “MATE”