Stop programs resizing my windows?

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
phil168

Stop programs resizing my windows?

Post by phil168 »

Is there some way to completely disable programs from resizing my windows (at the level of the window manager)?

For example acroread is like an evil dictator :

e.g. 1) it moves the window back onto the center of the screen whenever I reload the pdf.

---No acroead I _do_ want that window half off the screen so I can use another window below.

---I do this once every 5 minutes or so when comiling latex files, so am extremely annoyed

2) some pdfs have a bulit in preferred window arrangement, so will shrink the whole window down to some small size. This has NEVER in my experience been a useful thing to do.

Also I would like to know how to set the window manager to make it easier to resize the windows. For example if I click on the lower right corner of a window, then I want to resize the window. I do _not_ want to be presented with a menu and then have to select to resize the window...
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Stop programs resizing my windows?

Post by Pjotr »

Why install acroread at all? :shock:

The default Evince (Document viewer) is a fine pdf reader. In some cases the lightweight xpdf (it's in Mints repo's) comes in handy. No need to install extra stuff, especially not stuff from foreign sources.

Furthermore, acroread is notorious for unfixed security leaks. Bad, very bad.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
phil168

Post by phil168 »

I agree, I would love to escape from acroread.

But the linux community really needs to take much more seriously the fact that, increasingly, many people spend their lives reading pdfs (e.g. 8 hours a day every day), and every minor improvement makes a big difference. I'm an academic and spend all my time reading pdfs:

1) I need the tabs that acroread has (often I'm moving between 50-60 documents at a time, from a directory of 6,000 documents)

2) evince annoys me with the "ctrl page-down" for the next page (and the lack of tabs). I love the right arrow in acroread.

--I once considered writing a fork of evince just to be able program the right arrow key!
--I used to use "foxit reader" via wine as an alternative to acroread

So, in the meantime, can I get Mint to stop acroread from moving my windows?
Buzzsaw
Level 6
Level 6

Post by Buzzsaw »

If you install the program maximus and run it, every window subsequently opened will be maximized. Run it as maximus & in the terminal (the '&' means you can close the terminal afterwards without closing the program run from it), or create a menu entry for it, or auto-start it.

I've never wanted to use it, so I don't know whether it works for annoying PDF reader windows that seem to open in whatever size and shape they want.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi phil168,

I read your post and the good replies. If would help if you provided more information on your system setup - see FYI below. Each edition of Linux Mint has various ways of handling screen (windows) placements, so knowing which edition and version you are using is helpful.

Also, you can setup a function key, or key map something else, to "ctrl page-down" for the next page within your system setting menu.

As for PDF files, there are numerous really good PDF programs available:

Try Master PDF editor:
http://code-industry.net/free-pdf-edito ... x&ver=2215

I also use "evince", okular", etc... and have them installed. They are both probably in your "repositories like the Software Manager and or SPM (Synaptic Package Manager). You can also enable thumbnails of PDF files in your file manager after installing these and some thumbnailers from the repositories as well...

Evince info
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evince

Okular Info
https://okular.kde.org/
======================================================================================================
No pdf Thumbs in LM17 ((SOLVED)) Attachment(s)
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=174028

Thumbnails not displaying (Solved)
http://forum.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=187522

FYI: It would help everyone here to have more information about your system's setup: like what edition and version of Linux Mint are you using, Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (my fav), or Xfce; version 17 or 17.1, or What?; 32-bit or 64-bit? Some more information about your hardware would be useful as well. You can get this information from your system menu's Welcome screen, System Information program, and by typing in "inxi -Fxz" from a console terminal prompt, which you can then copy and paste back here. This information helps anyone here in this forum to be able to answer any questions you may have better :), thanks. You can even add this information (abbreviated) to your signature using the control panel link in the above left of this forum screen; then when you post a question or reply to one, that info will automatically be there, ex: see mine and others below their posts.
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Buzzsaw wrote:If you install the program maximus and run it, every window subsequently opened will be maximized. Run it as maximus & in the terminal (the '&' means you can close the terminal afterwards without closing the program run from it), or create a menu entry for it, or auto-start it.

I've never wanted to use it, so I don't know whether it works for annoying PDF reader windows that seem to open in whatever size and shape they want.
Hi Buzzsaw,

I did not know these handy pieces of information. Thanks for this.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
phil168

Post by phil168 »

Thanks for the suggestions. Maximus looks too crude for me (I don't want everything maximised, but carefully positioned [and then not moving at all])

I found this webpage:

http://pdfreaders.org/

which pointed out "qpdfview", which seems very nice---as far as I can tell its the only free alternative to acroread that has tabs (which are pretty essential to me). I'm happy testing out this at the moment. It does annotations too...

Nontheless, I still wonder if the original question has an answer (can I stop programs moving my windows?).

Here is more info: I'm using Mate

x86_64

System: Kernel: 3.13.0-35-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 17 Qiana

DISTRIB_ID=LinuxMint
DISTRIB_RELEASE=17
DISTRIB_CODENAME=qiana
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Linux Mint 17 Qiana"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="14.04, Trusty Tahr"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 14.04 LTS"
VERSION_ID="14.04"
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi phil168,

I. The Free "Master PDF editor" does have tabs and you can do almost anything with PDF files that you want to do. If you click on the link in previous post, you can see it in their pic, or just download the ".deb" file from their site, double click it to install it, and try it for yourself.

II. I don't know the Linux Mint Mate version well enough to know where the settings are for Windows placements. If you go into your System Settings Menu, and look around, they would probably be in there. In Linux Mint KDE they are in the "Window Behavior", then the "Advanced" section, under "Placement"; there are 7 general window placement options: Smart, Maximizing, Cascade, Random, Centered, Zero Cornered, & Under Mouse.
II a.) You can also create your own "window placement rule(s)", System Settings->Window Behavior->Window Rules

"create global window rules, Open kde system settings, go for window behavior module and window rules (I do hope that's the name of it in English). Now create new rule that will effect all windows (press new, and don't fill any criteria), move to other tab and look for position. Select "remember". Save the rule. From now on all windows remember their position."
II b.) You can also easily create a window rule per application for placement and size and more by right clicking the border of the application -> More actions ->Special Windows Settings or Special Applications Settings - >you will see the application name, check position and size, change boxes to "remember", apply.

LinuxMint_KDE_SystemSettings.jpg
LinuxMint_KDE_SystemSettings_WindowsPlacement.jpg
LinuxMint_KDE_SystemSettings_WindowRules_RememberPlacement.jpg
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.
phil168

Post by phil168 »

OK, thanks, I'll have a look (I missed that it had tabs).
phil168

Post by phil168 »

Thanks for your updated answer, phd21. It seems things are simplifed (and so less controllable) in Mate than in kde:

--I don't get any advanced options in my window preferences

--right click on the window border does not give any " More actions ->Special Windows Settings or Special Applications Settings" at all

I guess I should switch to kde, unless there is a way to open up these option in Mate...

Return to “MATE”