Font size cannot be changed.

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danishvet

Font size cannot be changed.

Post by danishvet »

Yesterday I have downloaded Linux Mint 10 Gnome edition, 64 bit and installed it.
The font size seems to be small for my monitor.
Therefore, I tried to change the font size by appearance preferences > fonts tab. But changing the font size seems to have no effect. In the Pick a font window, the preview font size is correct. But this does not change the font size any where else. I have tried restarting the system, but of no avail.
Can I do something to correct this?
Thanking you
Anish
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
danishvet

Re: Font size cannot be changed.

Post by danishvet »

I found that the problem is with the customized theme of Linux Mint (Mint-X and Mint-X-Metal). Probably they have hard-coded font sizes. The font size looked as desired when I changed the theme. But I miss the Mint themes.
Thanks, Anish.
zigguratt

Post by zigguratt »

The easiest way I found to change all fonts at the same time is to modify the DPI setting. I used Appearance -> Fonts -> Details and in my case I changed the "Resolution" setting from 96 to 84 DPI, decreasing the size of every font in the system. If you were to try, say 108 dpi, you may get the effect you're looking for.
cottfcfan
Level 4
Level 4

Post by cottfcfan »

Has anyone found a solution to this problem yet?
changing the DPI just makes some fonts huge while others ie. on the menu bar remain small!
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Same problem here... Fresh installed Mint 10 32-bit. The only thing is that I wanted to make fonts smaller, via fonts tab, as I always do, and also find out that nothing happens. And yes, it is something due to new themes in mint (Mint-X and Mint-X Metal).

Too bad cause I like those themes a lot. I guess I will have to stick to some other theme. And too bad that twice times I'm coming back to Mint from Ubuntu, twice I found some annoying little bugs right after installation.
alun_sundry

Post by alun_sundry »

You could open the gtk file for that theme and 'comment out' the lines that specify a font size if there are some. Copy it into a folder or onto your desktop first so you can put it back how it was if you go wrong, typo or whatever.

I don't know if this is the standard method, but I would do this by holding down alt, pressing F2, typing

gksu nautilus

in the box, enter your password, and then navigate to usr > share > themes > (then the name of the theme you use, mint-x was it?), open the gtkrc file in Gedit text editor and put a # in front of the lines that start

font_name

in the same way that other lines have that # in front. Save that then and either change the theme and back or reboot. That should do it, I'm no expert but I've done 'worse' with no ill effects...

Return to “MATE”