Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by shawnhcorey »

tux-sven wrote:1. CPU usage too high, which makes other programs perform too slow. Steaming video is hacking) (Compiz activated)
When I first install LinuxMint 12, my CPU usage was very high because it was doing all my graphics. When I installed my System -> Preferences -> Additional Drivers for my graphics card, CPU usage dropped to almost nothing. Have you tried installing additional drivers yet?
Don't stop where the ink does.
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

I have an intel chipset, so there are no drivers to add. I also run LMDE with Compiz on the same computer, which works fine with low CPU usage. But thanks anyway. :wink:
YouTu_01

Post by YouTu_01 »

How hard would it be to add the nautilus-elementary source to caja?
fireflyphil

Post by fireflyphil »

Hello!

I'm new here but using Mint 12 with MATE and liking it - thanks! Just two niggles:
1. How can I get the update status icon to show in the panel all the time? Note: if you install it from menu, it just shows on the left, without the tick or 'i' symbol.
2. I have installed Cairo-clock, but can't launch it because it doesn't show in the menu. Help/ideas welcome.

If these points have already been addressed, I apologise, but in that case, I should be grateful if someone could direct me to the posts. Thanks, all of you.
shawnhcorey
Level 4
Level 4

Post by shawnhcorey »

fireflyphil wrote:1. How can I get the update status icon to show in the panel all the time? Note: if you install it from menu, it just shows on the left, without the tick or 'i' symbol.
Wait for it. The update daemon takes a while before it shows its status. It should appear in about one minute.
Don't stop where the ink does.
Suchy

Post by Suchy »

Hello. I love MATE but I have no idea how to get battery status icon in my taskbar and how to make brightness/sound keys working on my notebook (they work perfectly with Gnome Shell). Thanks in Advance.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

Suchy wrote:Hello. I love MATE but I have no idea how to get battery status icon in my taskbar and how to make brightness/sound keys working on my notebook (they work perfectly with Gnome Shell). Thanks in Advance.
battery status: install mate-power-manager

brightness/sound keys: we are working to solve this issue.
perberos

Post by perberos »

YouTu_01 wrote:How hard would it be to add the nautilus-elementary source to caja?
https://github.com/perberos/Mate-Deskto ... /issues/59
Suchy

Post by Suchy »

stefano-k wrote:
Suchy wrote:Hello. I love MATE but I have no idea how to get battery status icon in my taskbar and how to make brightness/sound keys working on my notebook (they work perfectly with Gnome Shell). Thanks in Advance.

Thanks for reply but this package is not present for me. What should I do to have it present? I am new linux user so sorry if this question is dumb.
wayne128

Post by wayne128 »

Suchy wrote:
stefano-k wrote:

Thanks for reply but this package is not present for me. What should I do to have it present? I am new linux user so sorry if this question is dumb.

I have changed to Mate's latest repos as in this post
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 75#p512704

here is the version available

Code: Select all

lmde32g wayne # apt-cache policy mate-power-manager
mate-power-manager:
  Installed: 1.1.0-1
  Candidate: 1.1.0-1
  Version table:
 *** 1.1.0-1 0
        500 http://tridex.net/repo/debian/ wheezy/main i386 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
Suchy

Post by Suchy »

but there's no gpg key and it doesn't allow me to install anything from this repo
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Suchy wrote:but there's no gpg key and it doesn't allow me to install anything from this repo
After you add the repo to your sources bring up the terminal and run the following command\;

sudo apt-get install mate-archive-keyring
The above is found on the following post on the new MATE blog (MATE's info is not very organized as yet it seems but it's still very young yet):

http://blog.karapetsas.com/index.php?id=2

One word of caution though. The MATE packages that come with Linux Mint 12 come through Mint's repositories, not directly from MATE's Tridex repos and I have found that attempting to install any package from MATE's Tridex repos tries to remove key components of LM 12's MATE DE. It also appears that the MATE DE included with Linux Mint 12 is not directly upgradable from the Tridex repos. For example, with the Tridex repos enabled Caja "installed" version is 1.0.x and MATE's Tridex repo version is 1.1.x but LM 12's Caja (in Synaptic) shows no upgrade available. Same with other LM 12 MATE packages. It looks like LM 12's version of MATE and MATE's latest version are two different animals entirely and are not compatible. Either you have Linux Mint 12's version installed or MATE's latest version.

Any thoughts on this?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

kmb42vt wrote: One word of caution though. The MATE packages that come with Linux Mint 12 come through Mint's repositories, not directly from MATE's Tridex repos and I have found that attempting to install any package from MATE's Tridex repos tries to remove key components of LM 12's MATE DE. It also appears that the MATE DE included with Linux Mint 12 is not directly upgradable from the Tridex repos. For example, with the Tridex repos enabled Caja "installed" version is 1.0.x and MATE's Tridex repo version is 1.1.x but LM 12's Caja (in Synaptic) shows no upgrade available. Same with other LM 12 MATE packages. It looks like LM 12's version of MATE and MATE's latest version are two different animals entirely and are not compatible. Either you have Linux Mint 12's version installed or MATE's latest version.

Any thoughts on this?
Hi. I can confirm that packages of both repositories are full compatible. Packages in tridex are the experimental versions, once well tested they will go in mint repository.
In synaptic you dont see upgrades because mint set his own repository as priority. You need to edit your /etc/apt/preferences file to upgrade from tridex.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

stefano-k wrote:
kmb42vt wrote: One word of caution though. The MATE packages that come with Linux Mint 12 come through Mint's repositories, not directly from MATE's Tridex repos and I have found that attempting to install any package from MATE's Tridex repos tries to remove key components of LM 12's MATE DE. It also appears that the MATE DE included with Linux Mint 12 is not directly upgradable from the Tridex repos. For example, with the Tridex repos enabled Caja "installed" version is 1.0.x and MATE's Tridex repo version is 1.1.x but LM 12's Caja (in Synaptic) shows no upgrade available. Same with other LM 12 MATE packages. It looks like LM 12's version of MATE and MATE's latest version are two different animals entirely and are not compatible. Either you have Linux Mint 12's version installed or MATE's latest version.

Any thoughts on this?
Hi. I can confirm that packages of both repositories are full compatible. Packages in tridex are the experimental versions, once well tested they will go in mint repository.
In synaptic you dont see upgrades because mint set his own repository as priority. You need to edit your /etc/apt/preferences file to upgrade from tridex.
Hi stefano-k - Thanks for the information. I completely forgot about editing /etc/apt/preferences.And I didn't realize that Tridex was experimental. Must be getting old or something. :D
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Kimiko_0

Post by Kimiko_0 »

Thanks for the repository, Stefano. I was wondering how long it would take for Mint to update the Mate packages, but now I don't have to wait.
AstroGeek

Post by AstroGeek »

I've added the Tridex repository to Synaptic, but I still can't find some of the packages. For instance, I can't find the one that allows you to open a location in the terminal from Caja. I haven't done anything with the /etc/apt/preferences yet, because I'm fairly new to Linux and don't know what I'd be doing there. And I really don't want to mess anything up.

Also, I tried to upgrade some of the packages (mate-appletts, mate-power-manager, mate-screensaver and mate-system-monitor) but Synaptic kept giving me a list of packages to be removed and then saying that some packages have unresolvable dependencies. HELP!!
nidwow

Post by nidwow »

How do I set up the suspend while in MATE? In Gnome Shell suspend is right on cue. Not sure how to setup in MATE, I could not find GUI for power anywhere 8). In MATE my monitors are blank but it doesn't go into power saved mode.

Perhaps I am blind. The only way I can get MATE to suspend is to Menu > Quit and hit suspend button :mrgreen:
AstroGeek

Post by AstroGeek »

nidwow wrote:How do I set up the suspend while in MATE? In Gnome Shell suspend is right on cue. Not sure how to setup in MATE, I could not find GUI for power anywhere 8). In MATE my monitors are blank but it doesn't go into power saved mode.

Perhaps I am blind. The only way I can get MATE to suspend is to Menu > Quit and hit suspend button :mrgreen:
Install either the mate power manager (package mate-power-manager), which may or may not work for you--I've been have problems with some dependencies--or the xfce4 power manager (package xfce4-power-manager) which is compatable with MATE. From the power manager options you can set up the conditions under which your computer goes to sleep or into hibernation.
Kimiko_0

Post by Kimiko_0 »

AstroGeek - Those dependency troubles you got are caused by Mint having its own repository pinned to a higher priority in /etc/apt/preferences. If you don't want to mess with the priorities (they can become a bit of a headache quickly), just give the file a different name so apt ignores its contents and you can easily restore it if necessary.
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

I added the Tridex repositories last week.

My /etc/apt/sources.list looks like this:

deb http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/ oneiric main
deb-src http://tridex.net/repo/ubuntu/ oneiric main
My /etc/apt/preferences looks like this:

Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

Pin: origin tridex.net

After adding the keys and performing an "apt-get update" and "apt-get upgrade" (I may have had to do a dist-upgrade, don't remember), I am now on the Tridex Mate packages.

I've had a couple small issues. Mint-Menu is no longer working with this, it errors immediately upon login.

Also, the new packages haven't fixed my multimedia volume keys (which is the main thing I was interested in getting fixed). It's possible either those patches didn't make it into the Tridex repo yet, or my previous attempts to fix the issue on my system have screwed up, or the patch hasn't quite fixed the issue completely.

Return to “MATE”