Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
stovenator

Re: Mate Desktop Environment - GNOME2 fork

Post by stovenator »

stefano-k wrote:
stovenator wrote:Would love to try, but need amd64 version.
amd64 ubuntu package: http://mate.karapetsas.com/download/mat ... _amd64.deb

amd64 debian package: http://mate.karapetsas.com/download/mat ... _amd64.deb
The Indicator applet installs just fine, but it won't actually display the session indicator in the applet. I just get "No Indicators".

It's possible either indicator-session or indicator-session-gtk2 does not actually interoperate correctly with the applet.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

dolphin wrote:perberos,
Could you please implement Ctrl+Z feature in Caja (undo the latest action). It is in Nautilus Elementary 2.32.2. It's very useful feature and I miss it very much in Mate.
implemented in 1.1.1 (uploaded in tridex repository) :)
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

stovenator wrote:The Indicator applet installs just fine, but it won't actually display the session indicator in the applet. I just get "No Indicators".
It's possible either indicator-session or indicator-session-gtk2 does not actually interoperate correctly with the applet.
I found the problem. I am building the new version with the soultion.
dolphin

Post by dolphin »

stefano-k wrote:implemented in 1.1.1 (uploaded in tridex repository) :)
Thank you. I'm very grateful for your quick response.

I tried to install caja_1.1.1-1_i386.deb (1.7 MB) from here
http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... ckage=caja
but there are some dependency problems. GDebi shows: "Breaks existing package 'mate-file-manager' dependency caja (= 1.0.3-1)"
When I install mate-file-manager_1.1.1-1_all.deb GDebi shows "Dependency is not satisfiable: caja (= 1.1.1-1)"
In Mint repository there is still 1.0.3-1
http://packages.linuxmint.com/list.php? ... isa#import

I think I will wait until it reaches Mint repository.
Perhaps, it would be a good idea to create Mate PPA on launchpad with all dependencies, so that all Ubuntu based distributions could use it.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

dolphin wrote:Perhaps, it would be a good idea to create Mate PPA on launchpad with all dependencies, so that all Ubuntu based distributions could use it.
We already have an Ubuntu repository. Follow the guidelines here: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/download#ubuntu to enable it.

I packaged working mate-indicator-applet. You can install it from the tridex repo (remove the previous package, it has same version number). You need to install also indicator-*-gtk2 packages to have it working.
shams

Post by shams »

Sometimes my PC hanged when using more than one program. For example I listen music and side by side browsing Internet. Is that for Mate DE?
My PC configuration is Intel Celeron 1.8GHz, 1GB RAM and 320GB HDD.
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

stefano-k wrote: I packaged working mate-indicator-applet. You can install it from the tridex repo (remove the previous package, it has same version number). You need to install also indicator-*-gtk2 packages to have it working.
Thanks, that works. The only things broken are the call to "Log Out" from the Indicator-Applet-Session, and the Indicator-Applet-AppMenu acts a little weird (especially when the Menu Bar applet is running).
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

stovenator wrote:The only things broken are the call to "Log Out" from the Indicator-Applet-Session, and the Indicator-Applet-AppMenu acts a little weird (especially when the Menu Bar applet is running).
can you write details (and post some screenshots) about those issues?
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

stefano-k wrote:can you write details (and post some screenshots) about those issues?
The AppMenu issue - AppMenu is supposed to take the "File, Edit, View ..." menu and place it on the panel, as opposed to on the current window. After adding the Indicator-Applet-AppMenu to the top panel, the MainMenu disappears. Removing AppMenu restores the MainMenu.

Before:
After:

The Logout Issue - When choosing logout from the Applet-Indicator-Session menu, a logout dialog comes up that is different than the one on the System menu (from MainMenu). Choosing "Log Out" from the dialog, nothing happens.

Applet-Indicator-Session logout:

Normal MainMenu logout:
tux-sven

Post by tux-sven »

@ stovenator:

The upper panel is NOT standard in the Mint desktop.
Your complain is not relevant if our goal is to get back the Mint-desktop looking.
I should say it more belongs to the Ubuntu standard Gnome desktop. :?
Serbent

Post by Serbent »

Hi, I have a problem that I can not extract files in MATE desktop, but when I am in media partiton I can extract files by just clik right mouse button... Here is my problem print screen http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... 30164.png/
Coud somebody help to solve this problem?

Also I want to know if there is any applet for disk mounter, which was in gnome 2 and which I could put in panel.

I'm sorry for my poor English.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

Serbent wrote:Hi, I have a problem that I can not extract files in MATE desktop, but when I am in media partiton I can extract files by just clik right mouse button... Here is my problem print screen http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/26 ... 30164.png/
Coud somebody help to solve this problem?
Also I want to know if there is any applet for disk mounter, which was in gnome 2 and which I could put in panel.I'm sorry for my poor English.
You have "extract to" in the folder because there you are using nautilus (and file-roller).

In caja (and desktop is managed by caja), you need "engrampa" to have extract here in menu.
Serbent

Post by Serbent »

But then I do not understand why I could extrat here (on desktop) when I am usin gnome classic desktop. Where nautilus and file-scroll are used too. I try to search how to fix this annoying problem... If I correctly understand I have change the default archive manager to other if I want to fix this problem...
Edit:
Where I could find "engrampa", because goole says nothing about it?
Last edited by Serbent on Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stovenator

Post by stovenator »

tux-sven wrote:@ stovenator:

The upper panel is NOT standard in the Mint desktop.
Your complain is not relevant if our goal is to get back the Mint-desktop looking.
I should say it more belongs to the Ubuntu standard Gnome desktop. :?
The great news is that with Mate, I am given the choice of a top panel or not.

And trust me, I am not complaining at all. I am trying to help provide bug reports so that the product more quickly achieves parity with Gnome-2 . I don't really want to make use of the Applet-Indicator-AppMenu, as I personally find that behavior annoying.
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

Serbent wrote:But then I do not understand why I could extrat here (on desktop) when I am usin gnome classic desktop. Where nautilus and file-scroll are used too. I try to search how to fix this annoying problem... If I correctly understand I have change the default archive manager to other if I want to fix this problem...
Edit:
Where I could find "engrampa", because goole says nothing about it?
I've checked both 'Gnome' and Gnome classic' desktops which use Nautilus as a file manager and "Extract here" is shown in the context menu when right-clicking on a compressed file. In MATE however, which uses "Caja" as a file manager, it is not there and you have to install the "engrampa" package via Synaptic in order to get it back. Once installed, log out and back in and you'll now see "Extract here" located in the context menu when you right-click on a compressed file.

I can't remember what the original name of the Gnome 2 file that "engrampa" was ported from but everything that was Gnome 2 has to be renamed for MATE so as not to interfere with the Gnome 3 equivelant of the same thing. Therefor, Nautilus in MATE is called "Caja", etc, etc. Somethings, like File Roller, because they are not actually part of Gnome itself. Hope this helps.
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
Serbent

Post by Serbent »

The problem is that I can not find "engrampa" in synaptic package manager, aslo I search in the internent for it and I found not much... I have downloaded from here http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... e=engrampa but when I try install it I get this "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: engrampa (= 1.1.0-1)".

Also, thanks for explanation about MATE package name...
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

stovenator wrote:The AppMenu issue - AppMenu is supposed to take the "File, Edit, View ..." menu and place it on the panel, as opposed to on the current window. After adding the Indicator-Applet-AppMenu to the top panel, the MainMenu disappears. Removing AppMenu restores the MainMenu.
The Logout Issue - When choosing logout from the Applet-Indicator-Session menu, a logout dialog comes up that is different than the one on the System menu (from MainMenu). Choosing "Log Out" from the dialog, nothing happens.
I'll investigate about this issue, but my opinion is that both problems are because appindicator hides other menus and use own window to logout.I hope to solve that.
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

Serbent wrote:The problem is that I can not find "engrampa" in synaptic package manager, aslo I search in the internent for it and I found not much... I have downloaded from here http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... e=engrampa but when I try install it I get this "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: engrampa (= 1.1.0-1)".
Enable tridex repository: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint

Engrampa was file-roller in GNOME (there is an useful post about names in our forum written by LittleJesseJet)
kmb42vt
Level 5
Level 5

Post by kmb42vt »

stefano-k wrote:
Serbent wrote:The problem is that I can not find "engrampa" in synaptic package manager, aslo I search in the internent for it and I found not much... I have downloaded from here http://mate.karapetsas.com/index.php?pa ... e=engrampa but when I try install it I get this "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: engrampa (= 1.1.0-1)".
Enable tridex repository: http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/doku.php/d ... linux_mint

Engrampa was file-roller in GNOME (there is an useful post about names in our forum written by LittleJesseJet)
Stefano - I'm a bit confused then. File Roller is already currently in use in MATE in Linux Mint 12 but for whatever reason, does not provide "Extract here" in the right-click context menu. Yet Engrampa is a replacement for File Roller that does provide this. I take it then that Engrampa will completely replace File Roller in MATE sometime in the future? Like when MATE is the only DE included in a future version of Linux Mint for example?
"Humph. Choice, it is the quintessential Linux delusion, simultaneously the source of it's greatest strength, and it's greatest weakness." (All apologies to The Architect)
stefano-k

Post by stefano-k »

kmb42vt wrote:Stefano - I'm a bit confused then. File Roller is already currently in use in MATE in Linux Mint 12 but for whatever reason, does not provide "Extract here" in the right-click context menu. Yet Engrampa is a replacement for File Roller that does provide this. I take it then that Engrampa will completely replace File Roller in MATE sometime in the future? Like when MATE is the only DE included in a future version of Linux Mint for example?
I try to explain with my poor english: :)

FileRoller contains application + plugin for nautilus
Engrampa contains application + plugin for caja

So, if you have only MATE, you dont need File-Roller but only Engrampa

Return to “MATE”