Default applications

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

Default applications

Postby Horuss on Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:05 pm

Hi,
I'm very confused with this topic. Cinnamon is very popular now, but it lacks really basic functionality: default applications settings.
Yes, I know, there is something like that, but you can choose there only Web browser, mail client, music/video player.

I think Cinnamon really need something to help users set their apps as default for some files. It can be done by manager which can compose file extension with app or by for example filemanager in xfce, even windows, when you can choose something like Open with... -> other app -> select as default.

Is there some easy way to achieve that? Or maybe its planned for Cinnamon to introduce something like that?

The only thing i found is to install thunar (file manager), and when you need to set something, find file in thunar and it goes second method I listed above (open with..-> etc) But IMHO its really stupid, User inferface should HELP, not making problems - its designed

Would be grateful for answers.

PS Sorry for my English, not my native language, I hope it's all clear ;-)
Horuss
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Default applications

Postby abnvolk on Tue Jan 08, 2013 6:16 am

First of all, Cinnamon is a young project - it's about a year old, so there are still many bugs to fix and things to improve :)
Secondly, Cinnamon runs on top of GNOME 3 applications, including the Control Center (System Settings). And, as you may know, many features from GNOME 2 were removed from new GNOME 3 applications. That's why Cinnamon is missing many features that shouldn't have been removed from GNOME.
Moreover, the file manager in Cinnamon (Nemo) is forked from its GNOME counterpart, Nautilus, which has also been oversimplified by GNOME developers, and the Mint teams are trying to bring back the features that shouldn't have been removed :)
So I guess you'll have to wait for now. You should visit the GitHub page of Linux Mint to see what's going on in Cinnamon's development, and report bugs as well as suggest an idea, maybe the Open With function in Nemo file manager? :D
abnvolk
Level 4
Level 4

Postby xenopeek on Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:42 am

I'm assuming you are using Linux Mint 13? Unless you already enabled the backports repository, you will be using an older version of Cinnamon and you will still be using Nautilus as your file browser. Recommend your either enable the backports repository, or upgrade to Linux Mint 14. Either way will bring you the newer Cinnamon version (1.6.7) which includes Nemo as your file browser instead of Nautilus. To enable backports, see here: http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2225.

With Nemo you can right-click a file, choose Properties from the context menu (do not choose "Open With" from the context menu, that won't allow you to change the default program to use), then go to the Open With tab and you can choose a different program to open this file with. If you click the button "Set as default", you change the default program to use for files of this type.

Nautilus file manager doesn't have this feature, hence the Linux Mint developers have started Nemo file manager. Nemo is the default from Linux Mint 14 onwards, but as shared can be installed on Linux Mint 13 by enabling the backports repository.

Forum Rules | IRC Channel Rules
Arch Linux / 64-bit / Gnome Shell
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Horuss on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:45 am

xenopeek wrote:I'm assuming you are using Linux Mint 13?

I'm on Mint 14 :-)

xenopeek wrote:With Nemo you can right-click a file, choose Properties from the context menu (do not choose "Open With" from the context menu, that won't allow you to change the default program to use), then go to the Open With tab and you can choose a different program to open this file with. If you click the button "Set as default", you change the default program to use for files of this type.

And that is what I was looking for! Really THANKS xenopeek, I just didn't suppose it can be in properties. Problem solved, sorry for trouble, but internet search didn't give me that simple answer :-)
Thanks!
Horuss
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Default applications; adding??

Postby Gaytan on Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:18 am

Hi Guy(s)!

Having the (sort of) same problem; need to 'Add' the (self installed from Software manager) program 'Sweethome3D', using files with .sh3d extensions.

As the Sweethome3D program IS installed but NOT appearing in the software list, I do not see any option to add the very program to the list....
Is it me? Or am I missing some/anything?
:shock:

Kind regards,

Ed
Gaytan
Level 1
Level 1

Postby aless80 on Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:20 am

in MATE you can click on "Use a custom command" and type the command to launch Sweethome3D (try sweethome3D in a terminal). In that way you associate the .sh3d extension to Sweethome3D.
My problem is that when I associate Racket files .rkt to the program drracket, all plain text files are associated to drracket. probably because .rkt is not recognized as a specific extension, if you understand what I mean
aless80
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Cinnamon