cinnamon, virtualbox and black screens

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon here
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon

cinnamon, virtualbox and black screens

Postby bbth on Fri May 04, 2012 8:20 am

I'm running Linux Mint 12 and Cinnamon 1.4 in Virtualbox 4.1.14 under Windows 7, 64bit. The display adapter is NVIDIA GeForce 405. For Virtualbox, I have video memory set to 128 MB and 3D acceleration turned on. Cinnamon works great for about 2 days in this configuration, but then it will start to flash to a black screen when switching windows or, for example, when chaning browser pages. The screen goes momentarily black and then comes back. The only fix I have found is to shut down Mint and restart. This is a real pain because I often have tasks that need to keep running. This does not happen if I use Gnome as my desktop, but I really prefer Cinnamon. Any clues about how to prevent this or how to recover when it occurs would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bill
bbth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cinnamon, virtualbox and black screens

Postby Danko8321 on Sat May 05, 2012 9:04 pm

Your host and Display adapter don't matter when you are in VirtualBox, Cinnamon doesn't run inside VirtualBox yet; version 1.5 will, but that is version 1.5

For now, you are stuck with Mate or Gnome Shell (I suggest you to Update Mate to version 1.4; it is *way* better than Gnome shell) and wait for Mint 13 to come out since Maya will have fixed Cinnamon to work with VirtualBox. Nothing to do until then. Sorry I can't be of more help.
Cheer up! Things are getting worse at a slower rate.
Danko8321
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Cinnamon