What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Please post suggestions for improvement of Cinnamon on:
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
lunatico

Re: What do you not like about Cinnamon?

Post by lunatico »

sloan wrote:Cinnamon doesn't appear to ship with any working screensaver app
Incredible.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

That's not Cinnamon specific and it's not particularly incredible, Gnome 3 decided to not ship a native screensaver as modern hardware has rendered the need for screensavers obsolete. You might still like and want screensavers but their reason for being created in the first place no longer exists. No Gnome 3 distro (Ubuntu, fedora, Mint etc.) ship with a native screensaver unless they have added one to the Gnome 3 desktop themselves, and very few choose to do so.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

Bonsaii wrote:Can we, please, NOT try to "integrate everything"?

No, I don't want calendar and/or messaging integration by default.
No, I don't want 3D by default.
Why? Because it does not work!

For example:
Evolution notifications for new emails and calendar reminders
are a hit and miss. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.
And unreliable notifications are an oxymoron.

The integration mania reminds me of the VCR makers.
For the younger people: they f**ked up their product
by "integrating" more and more features, thus making
their product unusable.

I vote for KISS.
lunatico

Post by lunatico »

Ok... I understand it's a Gnome3 decision and not Cinnamon's fault.
bimsebasse wrote:modern hardware has rendered the need for screensavers obsolete.
How so? I don't understand.... AFAIK a screensaver is not a need, it's simply a commodity, a nice thing to have. Same way a wallpaper is... it looks nice: I like to see cars on my wallpaper, I like to see pictures from My Pictures folder as my screensaver, for example.
Can you explain to me the connection between modern hardware and no need for screensavers?

Thanks!
squeezy

Post by squeezy »

My biggest gripe with Cinnamon is the menu editing. The right-click Edit option from the menu button is different than the Main Menu application in Preferences and you really have to manually sync the settings in both to be sure any particular edit is going to take.

You may properly deduce from this that I really like Cinnamon overall as this is a pretty minor annoyance :D
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

lunatico wrote:Ok... I understand it's a Gnome3 decision and not Cinnamon's fault.
bimsebasse wrote:modern hardware has rendered the need for screensavers obsolete.
How so? I don't understand.... AFAIK a screensaver is not a need, it's simply a commodity, a nice thing to have. Same way a wallpaper is... it looks nice: I like to see cars on my wallpaper, I like to see pictures from My Pictures folder as my screensaver, for example.
Can you explain to me the connection between modern hardware and no need for screensavers?

Thanks!
From Wikipedia:
A screensaver is a type of computer program initially designed to prevent phosphor burn-in on CRT and plasma computer monitors by blanking the screen or filling it with moving images or patterns when the computer is not in use. Contemporary screensavers are used primarily for entertainment, security or to display system status information.
Edit: and just be clear, Gnome 3 does have a screensaver (screen blanking out when idle, to save battery power) just not a screensaver application with theme and config options etc.
PegHorse

Post by PegHorse »

Cinnamon is still young, a couple of bugs hasn't been fixed :

Network-Manager, the switch button ON/OFF doesn't work for all types of connections, for Ethernet : no problem but for VPN, the switch stays on OFF even when its connected successfully.
I would like to have more ways to configure my system and be able to easily Open With my files with whatever i wants without to tricks the system : Indeed, after long times ago, i found here that i need to use Thunar from XFCE4 to be able to customise my applications... That's not acceptable.

On ATI configurations, my boot sometimes failed with Blackscreen, i have Radeon 6850, but i know Cinnamon might not be the cause because others systems failed same way with a Black screen.
In that case i have to reconfigure dpkg to detect once again my hardware and i have to do that blind eyes, my tips is to have Guake on my system so when it fails i press F12, i type the commands and then i do "sudo reboot" and it works in most of the case.

I wants Pulseaudio get rid of any linux installation once and for all, it brings up too much problems and is useless... The old ways to control volume was effective enough, the classic volume button i miss that and the old Alsa-Mixer which is perfect and at least no conflicts at all.
With Alsa-Mixer you can mix entries : Line IN, Microphone, etc.. but with Pulseaudio you just can't, you can only record one channel at a time.

I do not understand why people developing system on Ubuntu and Linuxmint teams keep adding Pulseaudio which cause so much troubles, how many complaints you have to read before to understand that's a failure project... Pulseaudio is a failure and you will have to deal with that, it will never works, i am constantly annoyed by defects of that deamon but i have also some applications that requires Pulseaudio to works like Kazaam, this is unacceptable.

That will be all for now.
Thanks.
XA Hydra

Post by XA Hydra »

Personally, I'd like adequate visual feedback when clicking on panel elements ( just a simple "indentation", such as in Gnome Panel would suffice.. nothing flashy needed ) It's slightly jarring to click on an icon and get no visual confirmation that the panel even responded.

I miss being able to edit the panel simply by right-clicking on it.

Minimize / Maximize animations- I tend to have a lot of open windows, and it's nice to see exactly where they go on the window selector when I minimize them. The current "traditional" minimize effect does not accurately shrink the window to it's corresponding button. There is no option for even "traditional" when restoring the application. Some will blow this off, but I didn't realize how much I appreciated these tiny details until they weren't there.

Unification- would there be any way for Cinnamon to ( at least as an option ) take on elements of the current GTK3 theme and not solely rely on it's own separate themes?

( Now, this is being picky, and I'm sure the polish will come, but I have to mention ) The Cinnamon preferences elements ( such as when selecting themes, etc. ) could be cleaned up / aligned. Just sayin'.

Thanks to all those involved for giving us a lifeboat from Gnome 3.
Last edited by XA Hydra on Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

XA Hydra wrote:Personally, I'd like adequate visual feedback when clicking on panel elements ( just a simple "indentation", such as in Gnome Panel would suffice.. nothing flashy needed ) It's slightly jarring to click on an icon and get no visual confirmation that the panel even responded.
Except that the panel pops up with a menu?

In gnome shell you can theme "active/pressed" behaviour for .panel-button but this wasn't carried over to Cinnamon's .applet-box which only responds to "hover". It might be worth filing a github feature request for it: https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues?state=open

In the new Cinnamon 1.5 the panel favourites icons now have (slightly over-the-top) hardcoded click animation
Miami592

Post by Miami592 »

rop75 wrote:There are several things I don't like about Cinnamon:

First: Cinnamon seems to be created to make things easier for those who come from Windows XP or who like GNOME 2. However MATE is a better solution for those guys (I can't understand why Mint guys are developing two DE that have the same goal).
If I understand correctly the reason for the two projects is that MATE is based on gnome 2. That's why it seems more gnome 2 like.

Cinnamon, on the other hand is based on gnome 3. Essentially, Clem and the team have taken gnome 3 and wrestled it into something that works like gnome 2.

Keep in mind that gnome 2 is now dead. Stands to reason that MATE's days may be numbered.

My gut tells me Cinnamon is more likely to stick around since it is based on an actual living project.

Just my understanding of things. Please feel free to educate and/or correct me.

M5
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Miami592 wrote:Keep in mind that gnome 2 is now dead. Stands to reason that MATE's days may be numbered.
Gnome 2 is dead for no other reason than the Gnome developers deciding it is dead; they stopped developing and supporting it and moved all their efforts onto Gnome 3. MATE has a dedicated team of developers and maintainers (here http://mate-desktop.org/team/), is completely independent of the Gnome developers, and so perhaps it is a bit insulting to the MATE developers to call its days numbered.

Anyway, back on topic and let's discuss Cinnamon :wink:
PiMinto

Post by PiMinto »

XA Hydra wrote:Personally, I'd like adequate visual feedback when clicking on panel elements ( just a simple "indentation", such as in Gnome Panel would suffice.. nothing flashy needed ) It's slightly jarring to click on an icon and get no visual confirmation that the panel even responded.
In Fedora 17 the launcher icons animate a bit when you click them.
rlillard

Post by rlillard »

Dynamic workspaces!!

I really have only one strong complaint with Cinnamon. Please, pretty please, with cream and sugar; Give me back the feature to statically set a fixed number of workspaces and just have them there waiting for me when I log in whether I use them or not.

I'm not asking for this to be the default, just make it an option. I would even be happy (heaven forbid) editing a text file for this. If I could just have this one feature, I promise I won't mention any of the other minor (by comparison) annoyances with cinnamon, ever.

I don't flatter myself that I will be missed, but if this feature isn't available, I will continue to use Mate until it is killed off. After that, who knows.
chdslv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by chdslv »

Menu too big. How many apps could you put in Favorites?
Condorman
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Condorman »

I don't have any issues at all with Cinnamon in itself. It works brilliantly, and is the perfect modern desktop environment imho. The only things that annoy me are bugs, and I do worry that the Mint team might not have the capability to keep it going. Otherwise, Cinnamon is pretty much perfect for me.
morri
Level 1
Level 1

Post by morri »

Cinnamon looks great, although I am missing the scroll bar arrows.
also there does not seem to be an obvious way to edit a theme yourself.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

As a person who liked a lot about the MintMenu for many years, I also like the current Cinnamon menu. It would be nice to be able to get rid of the icons I don't use, like Log Out and Lock Screen, especially since I adopted Shelley's Shutdown applet from cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com. I do have a major gripe about the menu, and that is the horribly illogical way that programs are listed in Accessories, System Tools, Preferences, and Administration. If you are looking for something regarding Preferences it could be found in any of those, and the same if you are looking for an Administrative tool, etc. That whole mess needs to be cleaned up. In the past I restructured my MintMenu and moved everything around, creating new folders like "Boot and Grub Tools" and "File and Disk Tools". I haven't done that yet with Cinnamon, I just loaded the Favorites up with everything I might need.
For those who complain about the menu being slow, as bimsebasse said, that is probably the theme you are using.
Speaking of themes, better theme management is badly needed, as previous comments have noted. I had to spend dozens of hours editing theme .css files to get 90% of what I wanted my desktop to look like.
I appreciate what the Mint team has done in implementing Cinnamon. It is sensible and usable - not over the top "just because we can" like Unity.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
sprintcowboy
Level 1
Level 1

Post by sprintcowboy »

austin.texas
I us the Shelley Shutdown applet with this menu http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/applets/view/40.
It removes the shutdown opptions.
austin.texas
Level 20
Level 20

Post by austin.texas »

Thank you, sprintcowboy. I like that.
Mint 18.2 Cinnamon, Quad core AMD A8-3870 with Radeon HD Graphics 6550D, 8GB DDR3, Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI
Linux Linx 2018
bimsebasse

Post by bimsebasse »

morri wrote:Cinnamon looks great, although I am missing the scroll bar arrows.
also there does not seem to be an obvious way to edit a theme yourself.
It's not Windows, you are not more or less stuck with the default theme - you can choose from hundreds of window/gtk themes, and I believe most of them have scrollbar arrows.

http://gnome-look.org/index.php?xconten ... c8cba79ec8

Return to “Cinnamon”